OGDEN -- The Utah Academic Library Consortium and Mountain West Digital Library have partnered to create a statewide online collection of original pioneer manuscripts that still remain in private hands. The Weber State University Stewart Library Digital Collections department will help make it easy for Northern Utah residents to share their documents.
The "Pioneers in Your Attic: Preserving the Legacy of the Overland Migration" project focuses on manuscript materials created during the period from 1842-69 that reflect social, political, military, business and religious life on the frontier during the period of overland migration. Citizens are encouraged to bring original family materials to be scanned and included in the project. Scanned materials will be made available online through the Mountain West Digital Library website, mwdl.org.
Pioneers in Your Attic is a multiyear initiative to locate, digitize and provide worldwide access to the private documentary heritage of the pioneer era located throughout Utah, Nevada and Idaho. Using a network of regional connections, the project will provide to individuals an opportunity to have their historic letters, diaries and other collections scanned to preserve and provide access to their valuable intellectual content.
The Stewart Library Digital Collections department will hold scanning events throughout Northern Utah. Professionals with scanning equipment will be available to digitize the precious documents. No appointment is necessary. Participants will leave with their original items intact, plus a digital copy of all the scanned images. These events will take place at the following locations and times:
* Main Library, Ogden (Weber County Library), Sept. 5, noon - 7 p.m.
* Ogden Valley Branch (Weber County Library), Sept. 9, noon - 7 p.m.
* Southwest Branch (Weber County Library), Sept. 10, noon - 7 p.m.
* Headquarters, Farmington (Davis County Library), Sept. 11, noon - 7 p.m.
* North Branch (Weber County Library), Sept. 12, noon - 7 p.m.
* Central Branch, Layton (Davis County Library), Sept.16, noon - 7 p.m.
* Pleasant Valley Branch (Weber County Library), Sept. 17, noon - 7 p.m.
* South Branch, Bountiful (Davis County Library), Sept. 18, noon - 7 p.m.
* Morgan County Library, Sept. 19, noon - 6 p.m.
* Uintah City Offices,
Oct. 21, noon - 5 p.m.