MORGAN -- They're just three matches into the season, but the Morgan Trojans are almost in midseason form.
Behind McKenzie Schenk's nine kills and six solo blocks and Jaiden Farr's 11 kills, the Trojans took care of Mountain Crest in three quick sets on Tuesday night, 25-14, 25-16, 25-20 to improve to 2-1 on the season. Morgan's lone blemish is a five-set loss to defending 4-A state champion Sky View.
"Overall, I'm pretty proud of the kids," Morgan coach Liz Wiscombe said. "I thought our block looked better tonight than it has."
Schenk, a senior middle blocker, had probably her best match so far this year, dominating the net and frustrating the Mustangs with a strong serve.
"McKenzie's been working on her jump serve and it looked good tonight," Wiscombe said. "She's a tough player. She worked hard in the offseason and put in a lot of time. I'm proud of her. She's a good kid and I'm glad she's on our team."
The Trojans were never seriously threatened in any of the three games, but Wiscombe still sees room for improvement, including putting teams away when they're on the ropes. That's something the Trojans learned in their loss to Sky View and something that reared its head at the end of Tuesday's match. Leading 24-16 in the third game against the Mustangs, the Trojans gave up four straight points before calling a timeout and then finally ending it.
"No. 1 (area for improvement) is focus," Wiscombe said. "You can't let down against good teams. We've got to stay focused and have got to stay aggressive. But we're in a good spot. We're obviously not where we want to be by November, but we've got room to work. We've got a big tournament this weekend at Lone Peak and that will be a really good test."
Sophomore setter Jorry Randall recorded 11 set assists and had three aces for the Trojans. Fellow setter Kristi Rhead added nine assists and had eight service points, while Kennedy Wortman contributed five kills and a pair of aces. Shaylie Duncan and Casey Thomson had three digs apiece and Jessica Carter had two solo blocks. Morgan finished with 10 blocks overall.
Mountain Crest, coming off an impressive showing at the Utah Tournament of Champions, dropped to 8-2.
* Weber def. Roy 25-13, 25-19, 25-21: At Pleasant View, the Warriors' Chase Doughty had seven kills and three aces; Holly Stocker had five kills; Hadley Handsaker had four kills; Karlie Miller had 11 digs and four aces; and setter Ashlyn Capener had 21 assists and two aces for Weber (5-6).
* Uintah def. Ben Lomond 25-13, 25-16, 25-10: At Ben Lomond High, the Scots' Chakira Walls-Wood had six kills; Kyra Mathews had five kills; and setter Kassidy Whitney had 14 assists for Ben Lomond (1-10).
* Hunter def. Bear River 26-24, 25-9, 25-17: At West Valley City, the Bears' Fallon Peterson had six kills and one solo block; Alyssa Park had four digs, one ace and 11 service points; Taylie Bee had two solo blocks; Samantha Getz had one solo block and four digs; setter Jenny Bitner had 10 assists; and libero Michelle Davis had six digs for Bear River (0-2).
* St. Joseph def. Intermountain Christian 25-12, 25-8, 25-7: At Salt Lake City, the Jayhawks' Britt Sederholm had 15 kills, eight digs and two aces; Jessica Bischoff had eight kills and three digs; Audra Thurston had three kills, three digs and seven aces; Daniele Shinaut had three kills; setter Bailey Pacheco had 19 assists and two aces; setter Emily Jackson had seven assists and one ace; and libero Mady White had 12 digs and one kill for St. Joseph (10-0) in its league opener.
* FREMONT 3, WEBER 0: At Pleasant View, the visiting Silver Wolves prepared for a Thursday showdown with Viewmont by topping the rival Warriors.
Mariah Elmer recorded the hat trick, as Fremont built the 2-0 lead. Hannah Loftus added an assist.
Riley Porter led the Silver Wolves defense, while Alexis Burnett and Chyann Jones shared the shutout in goal.
* NORTHRIDGE 1, SYRACUSE 0: At Syracuse, the Knights defeated the Titans with a late-game goal by Sophia Bertagnolli.
* VIEWMONT 1, LAYTON 0: At Bountiful, Karrie Pead managed the only goal of the game for the Vikings and Haley Johnson earned the shutout in goal.
* BONNEVILLE 3, ROY 0: At Roy, goalkeeper Kyra McDowell notched the shutout as the Lakers went on the road to blank the Royals. Tayah Reynolds got Bonneville on the board first and Hannah Shore and Bailey Wooden added scores. The Lakers led 2-0 at the half.
* SKY VIEW 5, BOX ELDER 0: At Smithfield, Madison Siddoway and Emma Larsen each scored twice as the Bobcats blasted the Bees. Lesli Blau earned the shutout.
* LOGAN 2, MOUNTAIN CREST 0: At Hyrum, the Grizzlies prevailed on the road.
* TOOELE 3, ST. JOSEPH 2: At Tooele, the Jayhawks came up short.