Cigarette caused NSL apartment complex fire

Sep 5 2013 - 9:04pm

NORTH SALT LAKE -- Cigarettes caused a fire that displaced residents in a 12-unit apartment complex early Tuesday morning, said South Davis Metro Fire Chief Jeff Bassett.

Bassett said on Thursday that the residents in the apartment where the fire started on Tuesday had placed a mattress on the balcony and then enclosed the balcony with blankets so other residents could not see them smoking.

An ashtray filled with cigarette ashes and cigarette butts was left on the mattress. An unextinguished cigarette butt smoldered in the mattress and caused the fire, Bassett said. The fire caused at least $150,000 worth of damage to the apartment building and its contents.

 

From Around the Web

  +