LAYTON -- One-fourth of the way through league play and the Silver Wolves have rang up three sweeps with two big road breakthroughs.
Can you say Region 1 title?
Fremont continued its early-season success Thursday with a 25-22, 25-22, 25-20 triumph over the Lancers in 1 hour and 13 minutes.
The Silver Wolves last won a league volleyball title in 2006, sharing the Region 1 crown with Northridge.
"It's so early in the season, you can't get cocky," said Fremont senior libero Megan Gallegos. "I hope we can keep the run going and the route we're on. It's a good feeling for sure; hard work pays off."
The Silver Wolves rallied from 14-11 and 19-17 set 3 deficits.
"We knew it was going to be tough," said the 17-year-old Gallegos, who was shifted to libero from outside hitter late last season after a knee injury to Sariah Pelaez.
Gallegos had 19 digs, two assists and four aces for Fremont (11-3 overall, 3-0 league).
"We're good friends on and off the floor," Gallegos said. "We have a good core and good coaches to lead us. Coach (Brock) Mitchell has made a lot of adjustments since the Northridge tournament to help us reach our potential."
The Silver Wolves' Brooke Lamb had 10 kills, eight digs and one ace; Jessica Quayle had seven kills and three digs; Whitney Wray had seven kills, one block assist, nine digs and two aces; Amanda Wayment had two kills, three block assists and one ace; Jessica Snarr had two kills and one block assist; and setter McKenzie Burrows had 23 assists, two kills, two solo blocks, two block assists and five digs for Fremont, which had eight aces and five service errors.
Eliza Katoa, a Utah commit, had 25 kills and 12 digs for the Lancers (7-4, 1-1). Rylee Cate, who has a leg injury, had eight kills, three block assists, and seven digs; Grace Borges had five kills and five block assists; setter Mckell Moss had 34 assists, and two kills; and libero Carrigan Price had seven digs for Layton.
"We didn't come ready to play and our middles didn't show up," said first-year Layton coach Destree Donahue.
* Northridge def. Davis 25-16, 25-17, 25-20: At Northridge High, the Knights' Kaitlin Verbitski 11 kills, four digs and three aces; Alex Gardner had six kills, and two block assists; Janessa Cannell had three kills, and two block assists; Brittley Eldredge had five kills, and three block assists; Rachel Parson two block assists, eight digs and one ace; Ashley Vernier had two digs and three aces; setter Tabby Williams had 24 assists, two kills, and four digs; and libero Kelly Erwin had nine digs and one ace for Northridge (14-6, 2-1).
The Darts' Johanna Purdy had 12 kills and seven digs; setter Kendall Sargent had 11 assists and eight digs; and setter Kenzie Nicol had 11 assists and 10 digs for three-time defending league champion Davis (7-11, 1-1).
* Weber def. Viewmont 28-30, 25-19, 25-19, 25-14: At Pleasant View, the Warriors' Hadley Handsaker had 11 kills and two solo blocks; Mikala Lockwood had six kills and six solo blocks; Chase Doughty had eight kills and 21 digs; setter Ashlyn Capener had 33 assists and seven digs; Whitney Weaver had 12 digs and five aces; and libero Ellie Zurbuchen had 16 digs for Weber (6-8, 1-2).
The Vikings' Amanda Varley had 20 kills; setter Merri Luczak had 31 assists; libero Hanna Lifferth had 32 digs; and Rhiannan Jimenez had 27 digs for Viewmont (6-5, 0-3).
* Box Elder def. Roy 25-18, 25-22, 25-12: At Roy, the Bees' Stephanie Crapse had five kills and two block assists; Mallory Mueller had five kills, one solo block and six block assists; setter Ashley Green had 11 assists and four digs; setter Ali Lee had seven assists and four digs; and libero Karly Bunderson had 10 digs and two aces for the Bees (6-4, 2-0). The Royals are 1-4, 0-2.
* Sky View def. Bonneville 25-6, 25-16, 25-18: At Washington Terrace, the defending state 4-A champion Bobcats (8-4, 2-0) swept the Lakers (5-7, 0-1).
* Mountain Crest def. Ogden 25-15, 26-24, 25-14: At Hyrum, the Tigers' Chloe Oki had eight kills, one solo block, two block assists, seven digs, six aces and eight service points; Madi Kramer had four kills, four digs and five service points; Catey Patrolia had four kills, two solo blocks, two block assists and two digs; Addison Bowen had three kills, three solo blocks, one block assist, 11 digs, two aces and two service points; and setter Clara Call had 13 assists, two kills, two solo blocks, one block assist, seven digs, one ace and five service points for the Tigers (2-10, 1-1).
The Mustangs are 9-3, 1-1.
* Clearfield def. Cyprus 25-21, 25-21, 25-12: At Clearfield, the Falcons' Eliza Evans had nine kills, two solo blocks and six aces; Lucy Evans had 11 kills; setter Taylor Spaulding had 26 assists, and five kills; and Kaylee Chatelain had nine digs for Clearfield (11-7, 1-1).
* St. Joseph def. Dugway 25-4, 25-9, 25-6: At St. Joseph High, the Jayhawks' Britt Sederholm had 10 kills, two digs and two aces; Jessica Bischoff had five kills, three digs and two aces; Daniele Shinaut had four kills; Audra Thurston had two kills and four aces; setter Emily Jackson had 15 assists, two kills and three aces; setter Bailey Pacheco had five assists and three aces; and libero Mady White had seven digs and five aces for state 1-A runner-up St. Joseph (13-0, 2-0).
* Malad (Idaho) def. Bear River 23-25, 25-8, 27-25, 25-16: At Garland on Wednesday, the Bears' Alyssa Park had 15 kills, four digs and four aces; Fallon Peterson had five kills; setter Jenny Bitner had 22 assists and five digs; and libero Michelle Davis had one kill, five digs and one ace for Bear River (0-3).
Contact reporter Dennis Larsen at 801-625-4264, firstname.lastname@example.org.