OGDEN -- After getting swept on their homecourt Thursday by defending state 4-A champion Sky View, how would the Lakers respond in a short bus ride to league newcomer Ogden High?
Bonneville got its first Region 5 victory Tuesday, taming the Tigers 19-25, 25-16, 25-23, 25-18 at Phil Russell Basketball Court.
"I was nervous wondering which team would show up, and after set 1, I was really nervous," said Bonneville coach Angie Williams. "We just told the girls you have to play to win and not play not to lose. They were playing careful.
"It was good to get our first region victory," she said. "We had a long break before we played Sky View."
After committing six service errors in set 1 versus Ogden, the Lakers missed 10 serves spanning the next three sets.
"The girls got their serves in after we missed too many in set 1," Williams said. "We still had way too many service errors. We had tough serving, but it has increased our errors.
"They need to start getting them in and then serve tougher," she said. "Our defense was really great at the end, and we had some crucial kills in the last three sets."
The Lakers' Cortney Porter had 13 kills, one block assist and 14 digs; Ellie Jensen had seven kills, one solo block and three block assists; Sadie Lane had six kills and one block assist; Taylor Anderson had five kills, one block assist, two digs and four aces; setter Elora Penrod had 21 assists, four digs and three aces; and setter Andy Hancock had 12 assists, one kill, 11 digs and one ace for Bonneville (6-7 overall, 1-1 league), which had 14 aces and committed 16 service errors.
"I think this will help them see what they can do when they play with confidence," Williams said. "We were lacking a little confidence in set 1. They had the same look they had against Sky View. They came in in the next three sets and played with confidence.
"It's a good rivalry with Ogden and they are not the same team they were when we played them before in our region," she said. "I think the strength of the team is our defense."
The Tigers' Chloe Oki had 14 kills, one solo block, 10 digs and three service points; Madi Kramer had eight kills, two solo blocks, 10 digs, one ace and four service points; Ali Patrolia had four aces and 10 service points; and setter Clara Call had 28 assists, one kill, a solo block, one ace and three service points for Ogden (2-11, 1-2).
* Mountain Crest def. Box Elderr 25-22, 25-18, 25-15: At Brigham City, the Bees' Mallory Mueller had nine kills and one solo block; Stephanie Crapse had eight kills, one solo block and one ace; and Lexi Barlow had eight kills and one solo block for Box Elder (6-5, 2-1).
The Mustangs are 10-3, 2-1.
* Logan def. Roy 25-9, 24-26, 25-23, 22-25, 15-6: At Logan, the Grizzlies improved to 5-6, 1-1. The Royals are 1-5, 0-3.
* Fremont def. Syracuse 25-14, 25-15, 25-12: At Plain City, the Silver Wolves' Brooke Lamb had 11 kills and two aces; Jessica Quayle had nine kills, one block assist and three digs; Whitney Wray had seven kills, one block assist and eight digs; Amanda Wayment had four kills, two block assists and two digs; Jessica Snarr had three kills; setter McKenzie Burrows had 27 assists, one kill, a solo block and six digs; and libero Megan Gallegos had 14 digs and two aces for Fremont (12-3, 4-0), which had seven aces and committed four service errors.
The Titans' Brooke Pehrson had five kills, two solo blocks and one block assist; setter Chambray Taylor had eight assists and one ace; and libero Abbey Bowden had 11 digs for Syracuse (1-2).
* Layton def. Viewmont 25-12, 25-19, 24-26, 25-22: At Bountiful, the Lancers' Eliza Katoa had 26 kills and two aces; Hannah Hill had 12 kills and four solo blocks; Rylee Cate had seven kills; and setter Mckell Moss had 43 assists for Layton (8-4, 2-1).
The Vikings' Amanda Varley had 14 kills, three solo blocks, four block assists and four aces; Emily Madsen had nine kills, two solo blocks, six block assists and one ace; libero Rhiannan Jimenez had 32 digs and three aces; Hanna Lifferth had 18 digs; Kauri Tye had five kills, three solo blocks, 13 block assists and one ace; and Darbi Ferrell had four kills, three solo blocks and six block assists for the Vikings (6-6, 0-4).
* Davis def. Weber 25-10, 25-22, 25-13: At Kaysville, the Darts' Abbie Darling had 17 kills, two solo blocks, 13 digs and one ace; Johanna Purdy had 12 kills, 22 digs and three aces; setter Kendall Sargent had 15 assists, three kills, two solo blocks, one block assist, six digs and four aces; and setter Kenzie Nicol had 20 assists, three kills, one solo block and six digs for the three-time defending league champion Darts (6-13, 2-1).
The Warriors are 1-3.
* Clearfield def. East 25-13, 25-21, 25-12: At Salt Lake City, the Falcons' Kennedy Elwell had eight kills and five digs; Eliza Evans had three kills, five solo blocks, six digs and one ace; and setter Taylor Spaulding had 20 assists, 10 digs and four aces for Clearfield (12-7, 2-1).
* St. Joseph def. Tintic 25-10, 25-9, 25-10: At Eureka, the Jayhawks' Britt Sederholm had 14 kills, five digs and three aces; Jessica Bischoff had seven kills and two digs; Audra Thurston had five kills and two aces; Daniele Shinaut had four kills; setter Emily Jackson had 16 assists, two digs and four aces; setter Bailey Pacheco had eight assists and one dig; and libero Mady White had eight digs and seven aces for 1-A runner-up St. Joseph (14-0, 3-0).
* Bear River def. Carbon 19-25, 25-15, 15-25, 25-21, 21-19: At Garland, the Bears' Alyssa Park had 18 kills, five digs, three aces and 10 service points; Taylie Bee had six kills and three solo blocks; Fallon Peterson had six kills; freshman Jessica Rose had six digs, three aces and 11 service points; Justyn Rose had one ace and 12 service points; Madison Giles had three solo blocks, three aces and nine service points; setter Samantha Getz had 33 assists and four digs; and libero Michelle Davis had five digs for Bear River (2-7-2).