Bail raised for Davis County man accused of shaking baby to death

Sep 27 2013 - 3:20pm

FARMINGTON -- A man accused of causing the death of a 1-year-old baby girl is back in jail after a judge increased his bail from $50,000 to $300,000.

Tyler Ryan Geary, 25, made his first court appearance dressed in a suit on Friday, after being charged with first-degree felony child homicide. Another hearing is set for Oct. 30.

Deputy Davis County Attorney Richard Larsen said when Geary was initially arrested on Sept. 10 he was charged with second-degree felony child abuse because the child was still alive. That is when bail was set at $50,000.

Larsen said the child's mother told him that Geary had planned to move to Alaska or Colorado.

Larsen also told the judge that the severity of the charges had changed and if Geary is convicted of the first-degree felony he could be sentenced to serve 5 years to life in the Utah State Prison.

"This is a homicide case," Larsen said as the mother of Aliyah Wild cried.

She was sitting next to a victim advocate and at times during the hearing, could be heard sobbing.

Geary's attorney, Spencer Robinson, asked Judge John Morris, to keep the bail at $50,000 and ordered Geary to stay in Utah.

He said Geary had been enrolled in resource programs at school while growing up and needs his parents help to live independently.

Geary's family members sat on the first two rows in the gallery. Some wiped away tears from their faces during the hearing.

Morris ruled that due to Geary's background and because of the first-degree felony that the bail should be increased. Geary was taken into custody and booked in the Davis County Jail.

Aliyah died while being cared for at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City on Sept. 17, police said.

According to court documents, the injuries the baby had were "consistent with head trauma inflicted from shaking. Emergency surgery to remove a portion of the skull was required in an effort to reduce the pressure on the brain from swelling."

Aliyah had been flown to the Salt Lake hospital on Sept. 10 after her mother and Geary took the child to Davis Hospital early that morning.

Geary admitted to police he had shaken Aliyah for about 30 seconds to 40 seconds and then threw her on the bed.

Contact reporter Loretta Park at 801-625-4252 or at Follow her on Twitter @LorettaParkSE.


From Around the Web