ROY -- A handful of Roy High seniors made sure to go out winners on Senior Day.
Despite not making the state 4-A playoff bracket, the Royals are still battling as evidenced by their 2-1 victory over Region 5 leader Logan on Thursday afternoon.
"We've had that potential," Roy coach Lance Jorgensen said. "Still, this year has been a good one in terms of getting better as a program."
Roy scored in the first half-minute as senior Abby Pollock chipped the ball on to Taryn Davies, who drilled it home.
A short time later, Roy's Katie Stimpson headed in a loose ball to give the home team a 2-0 lead at the half.
Logan scored on a PK following a close call in the box. The Grizzlies made a strong push in the second half, but Roy was ready for it.
"They really came after us, but unlike Tuesday (a 5-0 loss to Box Elder), we stayed organized."
Jorgensen credited Nicole Delgado, Kirstey Crossley and Keylee Stimpson for their work in the home finale.
* BOX ELDER 4, OGDEN 1: At Brigham City, the Tigers tied the game up early in the second half, but the Bees turned up the pressure and scored the final three goals for the league win.
Sydney Uyematsu and Paige Stevens each scored a pair of goals for Box Elder.
Madi White scored for the Tigers.
* MOUNTAIN CREST 0, SKY VIEW 0 (2OT): At Smithfield, the goalkeepers were the stars on Thursday.
Sam Loosle of Sky View and Courtney Funk of Mountain Crest each earned a shutout as neither team managed to find the back of the net in a scoreless match.
* DAVIS 2, LAYTON 0: At Layton, the Darts' Ireland Dunn scored a goal in each half as Davis stayed on track for a state 5-A playoff berth.
Sara Beecher earned the shutout in goal for Davis.
* VIEWMONT 5, SYRACUSE 0: At Syracuse, the Titans shut down the Vikings in the first half, but gave up five after the break.
Abbie Flandro, Ellee Layton, Kaitlyn Palmer, Lindsay Essig and Madison Mitamura scored goals. Haley Johnson posted the shutout in goal.
* WEBER 2, NORTHRIDGE 1: At Layton, the Warriors went on the road and picked up a solid victory.
Courtney Wayment scored the Knights' lone goal.
* BOUNTIFUL 1, CLEARFIELD 0: At Bountiful, the Falcons' bid to tighten the league standings didn't pan out.
Lauren Hess scored in the second half for the Braves. Charity Cole earned the shutout in goal.
* PARK CITY 5, MORGAN 1: At Park City, two days after posting a 3-0 win at home, coach Tara Ferrin's squad ran into a buzzsaw on the road and fell 5-1.
Five different Miners scored. Kazarie Kephart scored the lone Morgan goal.
* BEAR RIVER 9, GRANTSVILLE 0: At Garland, the Bears scored seven in the early going and coasted to the home win.
Marisa Hobbs had three goals and Tara Christensen added a pair for Bear River. Kacie Selman, Sabrina Garcia, Selena Garcia and Sadie Croney also scored goals.
Terrell Womack managed earned an easy shutout in goal.
* STANSBURY 4, BEN LOMOND 2: At Stansbury, the Scots led 1-0 at the break, but gave up four goals after halftime to suffer the rare defeat.
Michaela Didericksen scored twice for the Stallions.
Baylee Roche and Kali Moss scored for Ben Lomond.
* FALCONS SECOND AT REGION 6 CHAMPIONSHIPS: At Salt Lake, the Highland Rams won the league tournament on Tuesday at Old Mill Golf Course.
Clearfield had a strong season-ending tournament and it helped the Falcons qualify for next week's state 4-A tournament.
Highland tallied 309 points, followed by Clearfield (319), East and Woods Cross (321), Judge Memorial (324) and Bountiful (343).
Individually, Highland's Matt Loosle shot a 71, with East's Hayden Banz at 74.
The Falcons were led by Gage Christensen (76), Bennett Robinett (80) and Tyler McCracken (81). all top 10 finishers.
Kyle Beard paced Woods Cross with a third-place 75, with Josh Stratford 10th at 81. Bountiful's Jensen McMillan was seventh at 78.
In the season-long standings Woods Cross won the region crown, followed by East, Highland and Clearfield.
The state 4-A tournament is set for Oct. 7-8 at Ogden Golf and Country Club.
* REGION 5 TOURNAMENT PUSHED BACK A DAY: At Ogden, the final two rounds of the Region 5 tennis tournament will resume today at 9:30 a.m. at Ogden High and Mount Ogden Park's courts.
Weather permitting, the Region 5 and 6 tournaments will conclude today. The Region 6 tournament is being played at Salt Lake City's Liberty Park, site of next week's state 4-A tourney.
The state 2-A/1-A tournament will be staged Saturday at Liberty Park. Action begins at 9 a.m.
St. Joseph has four entries in the tournament.
* ST. JOSEPH 10, TELOS 0: At Orem's Mountain View High School, the Jayhawks wrapped up the Region 18 title in style on Tuesday.
Nick Gruet picked up the five-inning shutout on the mound, allowing two hits with five strikeouts and no walks. Gruet and Alex Sloan each had a pair of hits for St. Joseph, which will play Wayne next Tuesday at 10 a.m. at Spanish Fork High School in the state 1-A tournament quarterfinals.