OGDEN -- They are no longer undefeated, and eventually lost a set for the first time this year.
But state 1-A runner-up St. Joseph is still tearing through Region 18 volleyball with a 25-6, 25-7, 25-6 victory Tuesday over Tintic at Father Neale Herrlich Gymnasium.
"It was senior night with lots of crying," said St. Joseph coach Ray Franklin. "Since these girls were freshmen, they are 107-18. They haven't lost a set in region the last four years."
The Jayhawks' Britt Sederholm had 15 kills, two digs and four aces; Jessica Bischoff had 10 kills and three digs; Audra Thurston had three kills, one solo block, one dig and an ace; Tess Thurston had four kills and two solo blocks; Daniele Shinaut had two kills; setter Emily Jackson had 16 assists, five digs and two aces; setter Bailey Pacheco had 15 assists and one dig; and libero Mady White had eight digs and four aces for St. Joseph (23-3 overall, 8-0 league), which went 4-3 at the Utah Classic tournament.
"They are talented all the way around. Start with Britt and go from there," Franklin said. "They are hard workers who like each other. They have been playing together since fifth and sixth grade. This is the best combination of talent I've ever had, and they are definitely the team that has won the most.
"The girls think they can win state this year," he said. "The match against Morgan (a 23-25, 25-20, 19-17 loss) was the best we've played since last year at the state tournament. If we can keep the momentum going from that match, then we should do really well."
The Jayhawks led 12-7 in set 3, but committed four net fouls over the next six points against the Trojans.
* Northridge def. Weber 25-8, 25-15, 25-21: At Northridge High, setter Tabby Williams had 28 assists, one block assist, two digs and six aces; Rachel Parson had 11 kills, four digs and two aces; Kaitlin Verbitski had 12 kills, one block assist, seven digs and four aces; Janessa Cannell had five kills and one dig; Brittley Eldredge had five kills, two block assists and one dig; Alex Gardner had four kills; libero Kelly Erwin had 14 digs and four aces; and Ashley Vernier had two aces for Northridge (20-7, 8-2).
The Warriors' Hadley Handsaker had four kills and two solo blocks; Mikala Lockwood had six kills; Hannah Erickson had four kills; Chase Doughty had three kills, three blocks, five digs and one ace; and libero Ellie Zurbuchen had eight digs for Weber (12-14-2, 2-8).
* Layton def. Davis 25-13, 25-18, 19-25, 25-21: At Kaysville, the Lancers' Eliza Katoa had 30 kills, two solo blocks, seven digs and one ace; Rylee Cate had 12 kills, three solo blocks, one dig and two aces; Hannah Hill had seven kills, seven solo blocks, three digs and two aces; and setter Mckell Moss had 42 assists, two kills, one solo block, six digs and two aces for Layton (18-7, 7-2), which went 5-2 at the Claim Jumper tournament.
The Darts' MaryKate Buttars had 10 kills, one solo block and three digs; setter Kendall Sargent had 14 assists, 17 kills, nine digs and two aces; setter Kenzie Nicol had 23 assists, six kills and eight digs; and libero Breezy Roth had 28 digs and one ace for Davis (8-17, 4-5).
* Syracuse def. Viewmont 19-25, 25-21, 18-25, 25-22, 15-12: At Bountiful, the Titans' Hanna Anderson had eight kills, three solo blocks and one block assist; Brooke Pehrson had 10 kills, two solo blocks and four block assists; Marlee Adams had nine kills, one block assist, five digs and three aces; and setter Chambray Taylor had 24 assists and three digs for Syracuse (14-9-1, 3-7), which snapped a five-match skid.
The Vikings' Amanda Varley had 23 kills, two solo blocks and 16 digs; Emily Madsen had 13 kills; setter Merri Luczak had 36 assists; and libero Lauren Merrill had 38 digs for Viewmont (8-11).
* Bonneville def. Ogden 25-21, 25-23, 26-28, 25-16: At Washington Terrace, the Lakers' Sam Filiaga had eight kills, two solo blocks, five block assists and three digs; Cortney Porter had 14 kills, two solo blocks, eight digs and one ace; Bailey Balaich had four kills and three solo blocks; setter Elora Penrod had 23 assists, six digs and two aces; and setter Andy Hancock had five assists, seven digs and two aces for Bonneville (19-16, 6-2), which went 4-4 at the Utah Classic.
The Tigers are 4-21, 2-7.
* Mountain Crest def. Box Elder 23-25, 25-20, 25-20, 25-14: At Hyrum, the Bees' Stephanie Crapse had 11 kills, one solo block and four block assists; Jessica Ormsby had nine kills and two block assists; and Cierra Stokes had 22 digs and 21 service points for Box Elder (5-4).
The Mustangs are 6-3.
* Clearfield def. East 25-21, 25-21, 25-23: At Clearfield, the Falcons' Kennedy Elwell had 11 kills, 11 digs and two aces; Kiersten Banks had nine kills, two solo blocks and three digs; and setter Taylor Spaulding had 28 assists, nine digs and three aces for Clearfield (16-11, 6-4).
* Morgan def. Juan Diego 25-14, 25-19, 25-16: At Draper, the Trojans' Jaiden Farr had nine kills, one solo block and one ace; McKenzie Schenk had nine kills, two solo blocks and four aces; Kennedy Wortman had seven kills and seven aces; Jessica Carter had two kills; setter Jorry Randall had 13 assists and three aces; setter Kristi Rhead had 16 assists, three kills, five digs and three aces; Shaylie Duncan had seven digs; and Casey Thomson had four digs for Morgan (19-5, 7-0), which went 6-2 at the Utah Classic.
* Bear River def. Ben Lomond 25-22, 25-15, 25-14: At Ben Lomond High, the Bears' Alyssa Park had eight kills, three solo blocks and three digs; Fallon Peterson had seven kills; Rachel Litchford had five kills; freshman Jessica Rose had six digs, one ace and 17 service points; Stacey Peterson had five digs, three aces and 10 service points; setter Justyn Rose had 10 assists, five digs, one ace and eight service points; setter Madison Giles had 11 assists; and libero Michelle Davis had five digs and five service points for Bear River (5-14-4, 3-4), which went 0-3-2 at the Utah Classic.
* Waterford def. Layton Christian 22-25, 25-23, 26-24, 25-21: At Sandy, the Eagles' Felicia Marshall had 11 kills and 25 digs; Vanessa Marshall had 13 kills; Jordan Czenkus had seven kills; and setter Brianne Nichols had 32 assists for Layton Christian (9-9, 6-2).