2013 college football midseason quiz
Thursday , October 17, 2013 - 5:16 PM
How closely have you been paying attention to this year’s college football season? At the halfway point, test your knowledge with this multiple-choice quiz. Answers are at the bottom of the quiz.
1. Oregon’s offense is unstoppable once again, but the Ducks’ 56.8 points per game average is second in the country. Which team leads the nation in scoring?
B) Ohio State
C) Texas A&M
D) Oregon State
2. This week, the Southeastern Conference (SEC) set a record for most schools in the Associated Press college football poll. How many teams are ranked?
3. There’s only one conference with three unbeaten teams, and it’s not the SEC. Which league is it?
C) Big Ten
D) American Athletic
4. Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel is making a strong case to win his second straight Heisman Trophy, ranking fourth in the country in total offense. Which quarterback leads that category, averaging 406.3 yards per game?
A) Marcus Mariota, Oregon
B) Brett Hundley, UCLA
C) Tajh Boyd, Clemson
D) Sean Mannion, Oregon State
5. Almost every year a military academy leads the country in rushing, and this year is no different. Which one is leading?
C) Air Force
6. Who leads the country in both receiving yards (944) and receiving touchdowns (11)?
A) Mike Evans, Texas A&M
B) Marqise Lee, USC
C) Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
D) Willie Snead, Ball State
7. Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon is averaging 9.7 yards per carry this year, but he’s not leading the country in rushing yards. Who is? (Hint: He’s also the leader in rushing attempts.)
A) Andre Williams, Boston College
B) Bishop Sankey, Washington
C) Jeremy Hill, LSU
D) Taysom Hill, BYU
8. For all you FCS fans, who is the No. 1 team in its rankings? The team is 6-0, opened the season with a win over Kansas State and has won the past two FCS titles.
A) Sam Houston State
B) North Dakota State
9. Despite Alabama allowing 42 points in a shootout victory over Texas A&M, the Crimson Tide rank second in the country in scoring defense (11.3 points per game). Who is first?
10. With the exception of the Johnny Manziel-led Aggies, the top teams in the SEC are led by senior quarterbacks. Which of these veterans has the highest passer rating?
A) Zach Mettenberger, LSU
B) Aaron Murray, Georgia
C) Connor Shaw, South Carolina
D) AJ McCarron, Alabama
11. Oregon is coming off its lowest point total of the season in a win over Washington. How many points did the Ducks score last Saturday?
12. South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney entered the season as a Heisman hopeful and possible future No. 1 draft pick. How many sacks does the junior have this year?
13. There are only two teams ranked in the AP top 25 that are not in one of the six BCS automatic qualifying conferences. Name them.
A) Notre Dame and BYU
B) Ball State and Tulane
C) Marshall and Bowling Green
D) Fresno State and Northern Illinois
14. Four teams with two losses are ranked in the AP top 25. Which two-loss team is ranked highest?
15. What are the only two teams from the six BCS automatic qualifying conferences that are still winless?
A) Temple and UConn
B) North Carolina and Iowa State
C) Kansas State and Purdue
D) Kentucky and Memphis
16. Which team has the longest winning streak in the nation at 18 games?
C) Ohio State
17. One thing in common with Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech: They can each rush the passer. Which one leads the country with 27 sacks?
C) Virginia Tech
18. Which team in the AP top 25 played four of its first six games against a ranked opponent?
A) Texas A&M
19. Which top-five team has three remaining regular-season games against teams currently ranked in the AP top 25?
D) Florida State
20. Once again the top team in the country resides in the powerhouse SEC. How many straight BCS champions have come from that conference?
- - -
1. A; 2. C; 3. A; 4. D; 5. A; 6. C; 7. B; 8. B;9. D; 10. A; 11. C; 12. A; 13. D; 14. D; 15. A; 16. C; 17. C; 18. B;19. D; 20. B
- - -
Congrats; now make plans to experience the outside world this Saturday.
You watch an acceptable amount of football. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
Study the ones you got wrong and blurt out some useless knowledge to your friends.
We’d like to apologize for wasting 10 minutes of your life you’ll never get back.
Sign-up todayfor our E-Mail Newsletters.