Ogden residents evacuated Sunday after gas line was struck

Monday , October 28, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Andreas Rivera, Standard-Examiner Staff

OGDEN — As many as 30 residents were temporarily evacuated from their homes Sunday afternoon.

The evacuation was caused by a gas leak at 835 Binford St. at about 2:33 p.m., Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said.

A vehicle that was backing into the driveway struck the home’s meter and severed the gas line below the shut-off valve, Bauman said.

Questar Gas responded to the scene to repair the leak. Meanwhile, 12 surrounding homes were evacuated by the Ogden Fire Department.

After the leak was repaired, the area and evacuated homes were checked for any lingering presence of natural gas before residents returned, Bauman said.

Residents were evacuated for about 90 minutes.

Bauman said the Ogden City Emergency Manager was on standby should the residents need overnight accommodations.

There were no reports of anyone getting sick from the gas.



Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.