OREM -- After a brutal five-setter versus state 5-A runner-up Lone Peak in the first round, the Region 1 champion Silver Wolves were due for a breather.
With a decisive 25-9, 25-10, 25-19 quarterfinal-round victory over Alta -- the third-place team from Region 3 -- on Thursday at Utah Valley University, Fremont advanced to Saturday's semifinals of the 5-A volleyball tournament against defending champion Pleasant Grove.
"We came out strong. I challenged the girls once we started warming up to go at them right away and see if we could put them away early," said Fremont coach Brock Mitchell.
The Silver Wolves (26-6 overall) last made the semifinal-round in 2006, getting swept by eventual state 5-A champion Brighton.
Fremont and the southern Knights -- Lone Peak had nine state championship-match appearances since 2003 with five state titles -- battled each other for 2 hours and 4 minutes in the Utah Community Credit Union Center.
The "Blue Crew" took a 12-6 set 5 lead following back-to-back Lone Peak hitting errors. The Knights closed within 13-12 before Fremont's Brooke Lamb put down the match-winning kill.
"After set 2, they took a deep breath," Mitchell said. "Alta turned it into a battle, but set 3 was never in doubt once we got things going.
"Not having played them before, I didn't know what to expect," he said. "As the match progressed, we were able to pick out some of their weaknesses. It was learn as we go, and the girls made some adjustments."
The Silver Wolves' Brooke Lamb had 16 kills, two block assists and two aces; Jessica Quayle had 10 kills and five digs; Whitney Wray had six kills, five digs and one ace; setter McKenzie Burrows had 23 assists and three aces; Jessica Snarr had four kills and two block assists; and libero Megan Gallegos had nine digs and one ace for Fremont, which had nine aces and six service errors.
"We have to take it one match at a time and Pleasant Grove is not an easy matchup," Mitchell said.
"We'll get back to practice Friday and see if we can figure something out," he said. "It showed a lot of heart to win set 5 against Lone Peak after losing a late (22-21) lead in set 4. The girls put that behind them and showed some resiliency."
* LAYTON DEF. TAYLORSVILLE 25-23, 19-25, 25-22, 25-22: With a win over the Region 2 champion Warriors, the Lancers (23-7) advanced to Saturday's semifinals against Region 3 champion Bingham.
* PLEASANT GROVE DEF. DAVIS 16-25, 25-18, 25-18, 25-13: The Darts' Abbie Darling had eight kills, 14 digs and one ace; Johanna Purdy had eight kills, nine digs and one ace; setter Kenzie Nicol had 12 assists, four kills and 13 digs; setter Kendall Sargent had 11 assists, three kills, 14 digs and one ace; and libero Breezy Roth had 19 digs for Davis, which had four aces and committed nine service errors.
* FREMONT DEF. LONE PEAK 32-30, 18-25, 25-16, 23-25, 15-12: Wray had 19 kills, 16 digs and one ace; Brooke Lamb had 16 kills, 12 digs and two aces; Amanda Wayment had 10 kills, two block assists and six digs; Snarr had 10 kills, one solo block and three block assists; Quayle had six kills, three block assists, 18 digs and three aces; Burrows had 49 assists, three kills, three block assists, 11 digs and four aces; and Gallegos had 24 digs and five aces for Fremont.
* LAYTON DEF. RIVERTON 25-21, 25-17, 25-14: The Lancers' Eliza Katoa had 21 kills, two solo blocks, one block assist, 10 digs and two aces; Rylee Cate had 10 kills, four digs and three aces; Grace Borges had eight kills, one solo block and two block assists; and setter Mckell Moss had 36 assists and five digs.
* LEHI DEF. NORTHRIDGE 25-18, 25-21, 19-25, 25-21: The Knights' Kaitlin Verbitski had 10 kills, one block assist, 21 digs and two aces; Rachel Parson had six kills, one block assist and six digs; Janessa Cannell had six kills, one block assist and a dig; Brittley Eldredge had five kills, six block assists and two digs; Alex Gardner had four kills, one solo block, six block assists, one dig and two aces; setter Tabby Williams had 26 assists, five kills, one solo block, eight digs and four aces; libero Kelly Erwin had 26 digs; and Ashley Vernier had four digs.
* DAVIS DEF. GRANGER 25-15, 25-9, 25-14: The Darts remained alive in the one-loss bracket and will play 5-A runner-up Lone Peak in Saturday's elimination match.
* NORTHRIDGE DEF. COTTONWOOD 25-14, 25-20, 25-10: Gardner had three kills, one block assist and an ace; Eldredge had three kills, one solo block, a block assist and one dig; Cannell had three kills, one solo block and two block assists; Verbitski had seven kills and seven digs; Parson had seven kills, one block assist, nine digs and three aces; Williams had 21 assists, two kills, one block assist, three digs and two aces; Erwin had 22 digs and two aces; Talia Thompson had three kills; and Vernier had six digs and one ace for the Knights (22-9), who stayed alive in the one-loss bracket.
* SKY VIEW DEF. CLEARFIELD 25-19, 25-15, 25-23: The Falcons fell into the one-loss bracket after getting swept by the defending 4-A champion Bobcats.
Region 5 champion Sky View, Mountain Crest and Region 6 champ Woods Cross reached the semifinals along with Timpview. Upstart Mountain Crest won a pair of five-set thrillers.
* WOODS CROSS DEF. BOX ELDER 25-22, 19-25, 25-15, 22-25, 15-12: The Bees' Mallory Mueller had 17 kills and five block assists; Lexi Barlow had eight kills, one solo block and two block assists; Jessica Ormsby had four kills and seven block assists; Stephanie Crapse had three kills, one solo block, two block assists, one ace and seven digs; setter Ashley Green had 23 assists and six digs; and setter Ali Lee had seven assists, five digs and one ace.
* JUDGE MEMORIAL DEF. BONNEVILLE 29-27, 25-19, 25-18: The Lakers' Cortney Porter had 12 kills and six digs; Taylor Anderson had five kills and three digs; Sam Filiaga had four kills and one block assist; setter Andy Hancock had 11 assists, seven digs and one ace; and setter Elora Penrod had 10 assists and four digs for Bonneville, which had two aces and committed 13 service errors.
* MOUNTAIN VIEW DEF. CLEARFIELD 25-11, 25-22, 25-19: The Falcons' Kennedy Elwell had seven kills and two digs; Lucy Evans had six kills, three solo blocks and five digs; and setter Taylor Spaulding had 19 assists, four digs and two aces for Clearfield (18-15), which was making its first state tournament appearance since its 2003 5-A runner-up finish.
* OLYMPUS DEF. BOX ELDER 24-26, 25-18, 20-25, 25-20, 15-8: Mueller had 15 kills, eight block assists and four digs; Crapse had 11 kills, one block assist and 14 digs; Green had 20 assists, nine digs and one ace; Lee had 10 assists and six digs; and libero Cierra Stokes had 13 digs for Box Elder (14-14-1).
* TIMPANOGOS DEF. BONNEVILLE 27-25, 25-21, 25-20: Filiaga had 10 kills, two block assists and one dig; Porter had seven kills, one block assist, five digs and two aces; Anderson had five kills, one block assist, nine digs and one ace; Penrod had 13 assists, six digs and one ace; Hancock had 13 assists and 10 digs; and libero Haylee Sotomayor had 17 digs, one assist and an ace for Bonneville (16-16), which had six aces and committed 10 service errors.