Blaze from fireplace ashes destroys Roy garage

Nov 29 2013 - 1:35pm

Images

Courtesy Roy Police Department
Courtesy Roy Police Department
Courtesy Roy Police Department
Courtesy Roy Police Department

ROY -- A detached garage/shed went up in flames early Thursday morning, and in spite of vigorous response from four city fire departments, the structure could not be saved.

"It was a total loss," Roy Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Comeau said of the good-sized buidling behind the house at 2251 W. 4975 South.

According to Comeau, the fire's cause stemmed from fireplace ashes that the resident had discarded a few days earlier in a cardboard box inside the garage.

The dispatch call came in at 5:23 a.m. from someone driving by the home, Comeau said, noting that units from Roy, Clinton, Ogden and Riverdale responded and doused the fire within about 12 minutes.

"It was fully involved when we got there," Comeau said, adding that no one was injured, but a nearby wood fence sustained some damage.

Comeau recommended that residents make sure their fireplaces are clean and working correctly, and also to discard ashes in non-combustible containers or in the ground away from any structures. "Use water and make sure they're totally out," Comeau said. "If they're just left in a combustible container, they can cause a fire days down the road."

Contact reporter Cathy McKitrick at 801-625-4214 or cmckitrick@standard.net. Follow her on Twitter at @catmck.

From Around the Web

  +