Boiler catches fire in Ogden church

Dec 4 2013 - 7:27pm

Images

Ogden fire fighters exit St. Joseph's Church in Ogden on Wednesday, December 4, 2013. The St. Joseph's maintenance man was working on the boiler outside when something caught on fire inside the boiler and filled the chapel with smoke. (BRIANA SCROGGINS/Standard-Examiner)
Ogden fire fighters examine the boiler at St. Joseph's Church in Ogden on Wednesday, December 4, 2013. The St. Joseph's maintenance man was working on the boiler outside when something caught on fire inside the boiler and filled the chapel with smoke. (BRIANA SCROGGINS/Standard-Examiner)
Ogden fire fighters exit St. Joseph's Church in Ogden on Wednesday, December 4, 2013. The St. Joseph's maintenance man was working on the boiler outside when something caught on fire inside the boiler and filled the chapel with smoke. (BRIANA SCROGGINS/Standard-Examiner)
Ogden fire fighters examine the boiler at St. Joseph's Church in Ogden on Wednesday, December 4, 2013. The St. Joseph's maintenance man was working on the boiler outside when something caught on fire inside the boiler and filled the chapel with smoke. (BRIANA SCROGGINS/Standard-Examiner)

OGDEN - A local Catholic Church started the Christmas season a bit smoky this year after one of its boilers caught fire Wednesday afternoon.

The fire scare happened at about 4:30 p.m. outside of the Saint Joseph Catholic Church on 514 24th St. The maintenance man was finishing up some repairs on the boilers when one of the insulation sheets inside of it caught fire, Ogden Fire Battalion Chief Hal Van Meeteren said.

Smoke leaked inside of the chapel area and someone inside must have called emergency services, Father Ken Vialpando said.

"Thankfully nothing worse than a little smoke happened to the church," Vialpando said.

From Around the Web

  +