OGDEN -- Students at St Joseph's Elementary School, 2980 Quincy Ave., were evacuated for a short time at 8:23 a.m. Wednesday after fumes from a car entered the building.
"We had a car that dropped off a child that blew its transmission," said Carol Layman, the school's advancement director. "The fumes were really strong. They did come into the school."
According to a press release from Ogden Fire Department officials were concerned about possible carbon monoxide exposure.
"Initially, 10 children at the school reported feeling ill and school officials reported a natural gas like smell inside the school," Ogden Fire Department Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said.
Upon investigation, fire crews decided the problem stemmed from the car with the mechanical problems, the release said.
"Air monitoring devices were employed by firefighters to detect any presence of carbon monoxide or natural gas," Bauman said.
Questar Gas also assisted in monitoring the air.
"No presence of carbon monoxide or natural gas was found within the school," he said.
Layman recognized the cold temperatures the 280 students had to go out into as school began.
"It was cold. They were outside for a little bit and then we brought them into the gym," she said.
The press release said the 10 children who were feeling ill were treated by paramedics and did not require transportation to local hospitals.
Ogden Fire Department Hazardous Materials Team firefighters contained and cleaned up oil and transmission fluid left behind by the car with the blown transmission.
Contact reporter JaNae Francis at 801-625-4228 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter at @jfrancis.