Fire guts Farr West garage

Friday , December 20, 2013 - 9:22 AM

Standard-Examiner Staff

FARR WEST — An early morning fire caused an estimated $40,000 damage to a home but the occupants, alerted by smoke detectors, escaped safely, Weber Fire District officials said.

Crews responded to a garage fire in a home at 2599 W. 2625 North in Farr West. The homeowners and some family guests staying with them for the holidays were home and asleep when the fire started. The occupants were alerted to the fire by the smoke detectors in the home. They then evacuated the home and called 911.

Fifteen firefighters responded to the incident including responders from NorthView Fire District and Ogden City Fire.

The garage area and the family vehicle were heavily damaged, and while approximately $40,000 in damage was done, the blaze was contained to the garage.

The fire was accidental and appears to have started as a result of an electrical issue with either the vehicle's motor block heater or the extension cord supplying power to that unit, district officials said in a press release.

Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.
ERROR: Template articlesectionpopstories.lmo not found in theme default for section stories!