USU St. George extension may be total loss after blaze

Thursday , January 09, 2014 - 10:18 AM

78431812

Emergency light...

The Associated Press

ST. GEORGE — Authorities say a Utah State University extension building in St. George appears to be a total loss after a fire ripped through it.

St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker tells The Spectrum it took crews nearly three hours to put the fire out Wednesday. The roof burned and left an attic exposed, and there was water damage throughout the building.

Firefighters responded to the USU Washington County Extension about 9 a.m. Wednesday, after the lights went out and staff members noticed flames coming from a ceiling vent in a bathroom.

Three people were inside the building and safely escaped.

The top executive at the extension, Paul Hill, tells KSL he thinks damages could mount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Loading…
Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.

Popular Stories