Dogs survive Ogden house fire thanks to new breathing equipment

Jan 23 2014 - 10:57pm

Images

Ogden and North View firefighters clean up the scene of a house fire Wednesday evening. Firefighters saved two dogs in the rescue. The couple who lives at the residence were away from the house at the time of the fire. Photo by Ben Lockhart
Ogden and North View firefighters clean up the scene of a house fire Wednesday evening. Firefighters saved two dogs in the rescue. The couple who lives at the residence were away from the house at the time of the fire. Photo by Ben Lockhart

OGDEN -- Two dogs were narrowly rescued by firefighters in a house fire Wednesday evening near 800 North and Liberty Avenue. 

 

Firefighters arrived on scene just after 7 p.m. to find the kitchen of the home ablaze and immediately went inside to rescue the dogs, said Ogden Fire Captain Dennis Gay.  The owners of the house, a middle aged couple, were away from the house during the fire.

 

Both dogs were treated for smoke inhalation and in stable condition as of Tuesday night. Each was treated with an oxygen mask the city fire department acquired just earlier this month from a private citizen's donation.  The gear likely saved the animals' lives, Gay said.

"We just barely put them on our rigs and we got to use them tonight," he said, noting firefighters initially thought the dogs had died.

Gay said the kitchen of home was severely damaged, but that other areas of the home were much less affected. He estimated the damage to the kitchen at $10,000 but declined to speculate on the cause of the blaze pending further investigation.

Neighbor Nick Gallegos said the fire was very visible through the front window of the home and had a strong smell.

"It looked like lots of fire in the kitchen," Gallegos said.

He said the couple has been in the home at least ten years, for as long as he's been in the neighborhood.

Neighbor Kyle Bodily called the fire department when he smelt a strong stench from across the street. 

"You could just smell the electric in the air," he said. "There was lots of smoke."

Several fire and rescue trucks from the Ogden City and North View fire departments responded to the scene. No firefighters were hurt during the rescue. The couple will be staying with relatives while the department makes sure the scene is safe, officials said.

Contact reporter Ben Lockhart at 801-625-4221 or blockhart@standard.net. Follow him on Twitter at @SE_Lockhart.

From Around the Web

  +