layton trailer fire kills cat; dog and iguana rescued
Saturday , April 12, 2014 - 4:16 PM
Emergency light on vehicle...
LAYTON - A trailer home fire early Saturday caused $40,000 in damage and killed a pet cat, firefighters said.
The fire began around 3:54 a.m. in a trailer home near 2600 North Hill Field Road, according to the Layton Fire Department.
A resident awoke to the smell of smoke and quickly evacuated the rest of the occupants of the trailer before calling 911.
A neighbor arrived and broke a window to retrieve a small dog from its kennel, Doug Bitton of Layton Fire said. Although this was a courageous act, firefighters highly recommend residents do not reenter a burning building and wait for first responders to perform such rescues.
Crews quickly attacked the fire which originated on the backside of the home where the laundry room was located. It was later discovered that the fire began in a dryer, after some clothes had dropped behind the machine and blocked the intake vent. The dryer's electrical components may have also malfunctioned.
Although the residents were able to save the dog and an iguana, a cat perished in the fire.
Bitton said the residents were fortunate that at least one of them woke up in time to sense the fire, since the trailer home was equipped with smoke alarms, but were functioning at the time.
Firefighters want people to be aware that smoke alarms have a limited lifespan and should be checked and replaced routinely.
Damage to the home was estimated to be equal to $40,000.
Contact reporter Andreas Rivera at 801-625-4227 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @SE_Andreas.STORY:201404120038layton trailer fire kills cat; dog and iguana rescued/Local/2014/04/12/layton-trailer-fire-kills-cat-dog-and-iguana-rescued.html-1