KAYSVILLE -- For the second time, a fire blazed at a home at 784 E. Oxford Drive, Kaysville.
But this time it did not burn the house to the ground, fire officials said.
Kaysville and Layton firefighters arrived at the home shortly after 10:13 a.m. Thursday, said Kaysville Fire Chief Brett Larkin.
The fire, which was in the attic of the newest home in the neighborhood, was mostly out by 10:35 a.m.
But fire crews had small hot spots that kept popping up in the attic area. The fire was contained to the west side of the building, Larkin said.
"Attic fires go really fast," Larkin said.
Officials suspect an electrical problem is the cause of the fire that brought neighbors out to watch firefighters drag hoses, climb ladders and battle the fire inside the home.
Kaysville Assistant Fire Chief Mike Eggington said someone saw the fire coming out of the eaves on the west side and sprayed water on it from a garden hose.
"We generally don't like that because it pushes the fire inside the structure," Eggington said.
Fire crews had to go inside the home to battle the fire.
A Layton firefighter used a thermal imaging camera on the outside of the home checking for hot spots.
No one was home Thursday when fire crews arrived at the scene. But the homeowners arrived shortly afterward.
Larkin said this is the second fire at that address.
"The family is really emotional," he said, because it the second time the family has gone through this.
The first fire happened in 2004 and burnt the house to the foundation, Larkin said.
Neighbors, too, remembered the 2004 fire.
On Thursday, they smelled the smoke and ran outside to see what was going on, several said.
When they saw the flames coming out from the eaves of the home, they grabbed hoses and sprayed water on their trees, which stood taller than the houses.
"I was afraid our trees would go," said one woman, who was visibly shaken by the fire and who did not give her name.
Matt McBride grew up in the neighborhood and bought his parents' home in 2004. He sat across the street with his children watching the firefighters.
"Last time, the house burnt to the ground," he said.
Carrie Hughes, who lives nearby, was at the park bordering the neighborhood when the fire started.
"We smelled the smoke and then saw the flames," she said.
"Then we heard the sirens, so we came over to check it out."