HILL AIR FORCE BASE -- Base officials have confirmed the 2011 open house air show will indeed be canceled, but also announced the show would go on in 2012.
Last week, officials from the Top of Utah Military Affairs Committee announced that given the current economic climate, the show would be canceled and they would not commit any funds to the event.
The two day show was set to take place Sept. 24-25, featuring the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds and the U.S. Army Golden Knights.
The cost of the show is typically shared by both Air Force appropriated funds and the TOUMAC.
After the TOUMAC announcement, base officials said they would reassess all avenues of funding for the event and no final decision had been made on the show's status -- until Wednesday.
"Given our current budgetary environment, I don't believe it would be fiscally responsible for Hill Air Force Base to move forward with an open house and air show this year," said Col. Patrick Higby, 75th Air Base Wing commander. "While these kinds of events are important for our service's recruiting efforts, showcasing our spectacular airmen, strengthening community relationships, and a potential boon for the local economy, we have too many other unfunded priorities."
But it looks as though the show will resurface in 2012.
"(The show) has been deferred until 2012," read a statement released by the base. "Team Hill looks forward to hosting a great community event next year."
The last time the base hosted an open house and air show was in June 2009 during the final two days of Air Force Week Salt Lake City, a week long event featuring a series of speakers, performances and demonstrations across the Wasatch Front.
The 2009 show drew an estimated 400,000 spectators.