LONDON -- A private detective at the center of a widening British tabloid phone hacking scandal has issued an apology to all those "hurt or upset" by his activity.
Glenn Mulcaire says Tuesday he was under "constant demand for results" when he worked at the scandal-hit News of the World tabloid.
The paper is facing claims that it hacked into a missing 13-year-old's phone messages, possibly hampering a police inquiry into her abduction and murder. The paper had been battling numerous other phone hacking allegations from celebrities and public figures.
In his statement to the Guardian newspaper, Mulcaire says he knew what he did "pushed the limits ethically" but he didn't understand that he had broken the law.
Mulcaire was jailed in 2007 for hacking into the phone messages of palace officials.