WEST POINT — About 300 people were evacuated from an LDS church building after smoke was detected in the cultural hall on Sunday.
“It was a burned up belt in the furnace,” said North Davis Fire District Deputy Chief Mark Becraft.
The church house owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 2852 W. 300 North, houses the West Point 4th, 10th and 14th wards.
The call to dispatch was about 1:20 p.m. on Sunday. The West Point 4th and 14th wards were in session and everyone was evacuated safely with the remaining meetings canceled.