SOUTH OGDEN -- Usually if a building is set on fire, it will speed up the demolition process.
That's not the case for South Ogden Junior High School.
The old school building, which burned Oct. 23, may take a little longer to demolish because of asbestos issues related to the fire.
"One of the properties of asbestos is, it doesn't burn," said Nate Taggart, spokesman for the Weber School District.
"It just made it so we have asbestos that still has to be removed. That part of the building can't be torn down until all of that is removed."
The fire caused the asbestos in the ceiling to spread throughout the interior of the school, so now, the process of removal may take more time.
"This just makes it a little bit different," Taggart said. "Instead of taking it out of the ceiling, it's just where it's fallen out from the fire. It will take longer than it would have before."
Taggart was unsure if removing the fallen asbestos will make the demolition project more expensive but said, "There probably will be some additional cost associated with it."
About 40 firefighters spent almost 12 hours fighting the fire, which officials believe was started by four juveniles, ages 12 and 13, on Oct. 23.
South Ogden Police Officer Marci Edwards said charges of reckless burning, criminal trespassing and curfew violations were filed Tuesday against the four with the Weber County Attorney's Office.
Taggart said officials estimate it will take about a month to demolish the school, which had been ongoing over the last month.
The south part of the building has been removed, but the east-side two-story structure where the fire started won't be demolished until the asbestos is removed.
Taggart emphasized that while the asbestos may no longer be contained in the ceiling, it isn't a hazard to anyone in the surrounding area.
"There's no danger to the public," he said. "It's all been properly disposed. It's being done by a commercial company."