CLEARFIELD -- Smoke sent about 50 employees of Albion, a manufacturer of organic mineral compounds, home for the day before their shift began.
North Davis Fire District crews were called at 5:56 a.m. Friday after a smoke alarm went off inside the manufacturing plant at 101 N. Main St.
No employees were in the building at the time, North Davis Fire District Deputy Chief Mark Becraft said.
A fire had started on a tray inside one of the ovens that dries the minerals used for vitamins the company makes, Becraft said. The minerals are benign, so a Hazmat crew was not called to the scene. Becraft said the cause of the fire is accidental.
Heavy smoke filled the building, which is about 90 feet long and 200 feet wide. Fire crews spent more than three hours ventilating the smoke from the building. Carbon monoxide levels in the building were extremely high.
Because of the amount of smoke and the size of the building, fire crews from Sunset, Clinton and Layton came to assist.
"It was very difficult because the building is so large and is compartmentalized," Becraft said. "We've had to rotate the ventilators around so we can get good air quality."