CLEARFIELD -- Smoke sent about 50 employees of Albion, a manufacturer of organic mineral compounds, home for the day before their shift began, fire officials said.
North Davis Fire District crews were called at 5:56 a.m., on Friday, after a smoke alarm went off inside the manufacturing plant at 101 N. Main St., Clearfield. No employees were in the building at the time, said North Davis Fire District Deputy Chief Mark Becraft.
Becraft said the cause of the fire is accidental.
Because of the amount of smoke and how big the building is, fire crews from Sunset, Clinton and Layton came to assist.
A fire had started on a tray inside one of the ovens that dries the minerals used for vitamins the company makes, Becraft said. The minerals are benign, so hazmat was not called to the scene.
Heavy smoke filled the building, which is about 90 feet long and 200 feet wide. Fire crews spent more than three hours ventilating the smoke out of the building. Carbon monoxide levels were extremely high in the building.
"It was very difficult because the building is so large and is compartmentalized," Becraft said. "We've had to rotate the ventilators around so we can get good air quality."