CLEARFIELD -- Five fire agencies spent Tuesday afternoon putting out a fire at a recycling company here.
Billowing clouds of black smoke could be seen for several miles, and traffic was narrowed from four lanes to two lanes on Antelope Drive for about an hour while crews battled the fire that was started by a spark.
Firefighters were called to Clearfield Recycling, 96 W. Antelope Drive, at 1:42 p.m., said North Davis Fire Agency Chief Roger Bodily.
The recycling business has been in the area for three years, Bodily said. It recycles metal products, such as vehicles, garage doors and washing machines.
"It produces about 700 tons of metal and ships it to other areas of the country for products," Bodily said.
The fire started when an employee in a track hoe was moving a car body from a pile of scrap metal that was 10 feet tall and 50 feet wide.
"It caused a spark, and the fire started," Bodily said.
No one was injured, and no structures were in danger.
The 15 employees at the business were evacuated while crews worked on the fire.
Eight people in a nearby building also were evacuated because of concerns about smoke in the air.
Bodily said firefighters heard some "pops" when they arrived but were not concerned about any possible explosions.
The pile of scrap metal also included tires, car seats and other automobile parts.
"There are many combustibles in that pile," Bodily said.
An employee of the recycling business used a track hoe to move pieces of metal while firefighters on a ladder truck squirted water onto the fire.
Company employees declined to comment.
Bodily said Syracuse and Clinton provided ladder trucks. One ladder truck that was used continuously shot 1,000 gallons of water per minute onto the fire.
It took crews more than an hour to extinguish the blaze.
Fire hoses were stretched about 500 feet from a fire hydrant on Antelope Drive to the scene.
Other fire hoses were attached to another fire hydrant on the east side of the property.
Crews and equipment from Sunset and Layton also helped fight the blaze.