OGDEN -- Three people were in the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday night.
It all started when a man arrived at McKay-Dee Hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, said Ogden Fire Capt. Jon Fretwell. At about 9 p.m., emergency responders went out to his apartment complex at 140 E. 28th St. to check on the other people there.
One person from the man's apartment and one from an adjoining apartment were flown to a Salt Lake City hospital for treatment.
Another man had high levels of the gas in his blood, but he refused treatment or transport to a hospital, Fretwell said.
He said that, according to Questar Gas, it is possible that a faulty water heater leaked the gas into the air in a shed-type enclosure in which it was housed alongside a furnace. As the furnace transferred heat to the apartments, it may have brought some of the CO with it, he said.