More local film screenings are joining the summer schedule. Peery's Egyptian Theater is launching the Pharaoh's Philm series, which will include Western films, children's films and cinema classics.
"As a historic movie palace, our venue is a unique place to experience film," said Sarah K. Bartlo, theater director. "The summer gives us an excellent opportunity to show a series of films that not only highlight the beauty of our venue but also are great films, films everyone should see, or see again.
"We tried to create a series that appealed to the movie lover in all of us, with greats like 'High Noon' and 'To Catch a Thief,' and films that should be seen on the big screen like 'The Wizard of Oz' and 'Gone With the Wind.'
"And we included some films that are fun, like 'How to Train Your Dragon,' and attract a young audience to experience movies in a new way."
- "High Noon," 7 p.m. Tuesday. $5. Gary Cooper stars Marshal Will Kane in this unrated 1952 drama, about a lawman forced to face down deadly enemies in a town that refuses to support his effort.
- "Cat Ballou," 7 p.m. Wednesday. $5. Jane Fonda stars in this 1965 Western comedy, unrated, about a woman who hires a drunken gunslinger (Lee Marvin) to protect her family farm, which is threatened by the railroad, and avenge her murdered father.
- "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," 7 p.m. July 27. $5. Western, PG, 1969.
- "Shane," 7 p.m. July 28. $5. Western, unrated, 1953.
- "G-Force," 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. July 31. $4, $2/children 2-14. Animated film, PG, 2009.
- "To Catch a Thief," 7 p.m. Aug. 6. $5. Alfred Hitchcock's 1955 crime drama, unrated.
- "The Wizard of Oz," 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Aug. 7. $4, $2/children. Fantasy, unrated, 1939.
- "Gigi," 7 p.m. Aug. 13. $5. Musical comedy/romance, G, 1958.
- "How to Train Your Dragon," 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Aug. 14. $4, $2/children. Animated family film, PG, 2010.
- "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb," 7 p.m. Aug. 20. $5. Thriller comedy, PG, 1964.
- "Gone With the Wind," 7 p.m. Aug. 27. $5. Romance drama, G, 1939.