Help little sprouts grow big plants
Little sprouts can be introduced to gardening through the new Miracle-Gro Kids gardening kits from Peachtree Playthings.
The kits contain the supplies children need to grow plants from seed in specially formulated Miracle-Gro Gro-Mix, a nontoxic growing medium that changes color when it's time to water.
Kits are available for growing flowers or vegetables in various containers, including planters, miniature greenhouses and a terrarium.
A companion website, www.miraclegrokidsgardening.com, has activities, recipes and other information for young gardeners.
The kits are sold at Walmart and are expected to be available at Toys R Us later this spring. Prices range from about $1 to $13.
What does 100 calories look like?
Apparently, the 100-calorie level is the magical number for calorie counters and food marketers.
Snack packs and yogurt, beer and bagels -- "100 calories" they brag on bags and bottles. Trim 100 calories here, another 100 there and you're bound to lose some weight, right?
Add exercise to the mix, you'll do even better. The Mayo Clinic points out that to work off 100 calories (if you weigh 160 pounds): Cycle or play volleyball (about 20 minutes); bowl, ballroom dance or walk (about 30 minutes), or do low-impact aerobics (about 16 minutes).
It can be tough to calculate calories while hankering for a snack. One strategy: Keep an arsenal of nutrient-dense, lo-cal snacks on hand. But what does 100 calories look like?
Here are a few items (some to try, some to avoid):
* Hard cooked egg (1 large): 78 calories
* Raw spinach (10 ounce package): 65 calories
* Raisins (about 3 tablespoons): 81 calories
* Fresh blueberries (1 cup): 84 calories
* Apple (1 medium): 95 calories
* Smooth peanut butter (1 tablespoon): 94 calories
* McDonald's Chicken McNuggets (2 pieces): 95 calories
* Doritos Nacho Cheese Flavored Tortilla Chips (about 7 chips): 95 calories
* Fresh strawberry halves (2 cups): 98 calories
* Dry roasted peanuts (about 16): 99 calories
* Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies (2 cookies): 120 calories
* Dry roasted almonds (about 13): 99 calories
* Baby carrots (25): 100 calories
Eco-friendly garden tips at workshop
Want some tips on growing an eco-friendly garden?
The Ogden Nature Center, 966 W. 12th St., has a workshop on that subject from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the center.
Cost is $5 for nonmembers. Register by 5 p.m. Wednesday by calling 801-621-7595.
-- Standard-Examiner wire services
Visit www.hersutah.com for these stories and more:
* Eat, Drink and Be Married: Back to school
* Food: Make your own Peeps
* Manage your life: More on supper clubs
* Health: Do we really want healthier fast food?
* Style: Coachella clothes
* Entertainment: "Candice Olson Kitchens & Baths"