With all the hype about prom from peers, magazines and even movies, it is easy to think that if you don't attend this dance there is nothing for you to do except stay home and think of fellow students that are dancing the night away in over-priced dresses and crowded ballrooms.
Whether you didn't get asked to prom or chose not to go, there is more to do than be bored. Try any of these ideas to ensure a fun prom-free night.
* Have a movie marathon. It can be comedy, romance, horror, or any genre you like. Movies are a sure way to get your mind off the dance and provide a day of enjoyment.
* Eat. Go out to eat, make some treats, or simply enjoy yourself while not worrying about bulging in your dress or spilling on your rental tux.
* Make videos and put them online. Show all of your friends how much fun you had while they were at prom. The great thing about videos is that the possibilities are truly endless; you can film your attempts of parkouring in your local park or make a music video.
* Go hiking. As it starts to warm up, spending time outside can be very relieving. Just make sure the trail is safe and people know where you are.
* Have sumo wars. Hear me out, you and a friend stuff your clothes with pillows and sumo wrestle. Does this sound juvenile? Yes it does, but I can promise you it is more fun than waltzing awkwardly with a date.
* Play pranks. Pranks are fun under any circumstance, but it would be especially fun to prank the promsters. Some ideas include sticking hot dogs under their car door handles or Saran-wrapping cars.
* Make sock puppets. There is nothing like a friendly sock puppet. Enough said.
* Crash wedding receptions. This requires a little time, but the rewards may be worth it. Overall, it's fairly simple: dress nice and drive around looking for churches with full parking lots. Since this is Utah, it shouldn't be too difficult. Just make sure not to draw too much attention to yourself.
* Go bowling. It sounds clichA(c) but give it a try. It can be very fun.
* Go shopping. Buy yourself something you will enjoy with all the money you're saving by not going to prom. For you girls, you can get a new outfit that you will wear a lot more than an impractical dress. Boys, a new game you pick out can entertain you all night.
* Facebook stalk. Everyone does it; indulge the guilty pleasure of creeping on your peers.
* Take a bubble bath. Just let yourself relax. If you're a boy, ignore people who say it's a girl thing, everyone deserves a nice bubble bath now and then.
* Pick up a new hobby. Grow an herb garden, scrapbook your high school adventures, learn to cook, or anything new. New hobbies are great for distracting you and can be the start of a great new passion.
* Take fun pictures. Whether with friends or alone, picture taking can be more fun than any dance. Plus you will have something original to upload when everyone's Facebook home is filled with corny prom pictures.
* Look at stupid websites. Websites such as www.awkwardfamilyphotos.com and www.peopleofwalmart.com not only supply hours of pleasure but also make you feel better about yourself no matter what mental state you are in.
Shannon Rigby is senior at Davis High School. E-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.