• New York author Katie Arnold-Ratliff reads and signs her debut novel, "Bright Before Us" (Tin House Book, $14), at 6 p.m. Monday at Sam Weller's Bookstore, 254 S. Main St., Salt Lake City. This is a free event.• Utah author "Mckenzie Wagner" discusses and signs her children's book, "The Magic Meadow And The Golden Locket" (Tate Publishing, $8.99), 5-9 p.m. Friday at Hastings, 340 E. 525 North, Harrisville. This is a free event.
• Academy Award-winning filmmaker Kieth Merrill signs his debut novel, "The Evolution of Thomas Hall" (Shadow Mountain, $27.99), at 4 p.m. Friday at Deseret Book, 1096 Layton Hills Mall, Layton.
"The Evolution of Thomas Hall" is the story of an artist who has been commissioned to paint two conflicting murals -- an honorarium to Charles Darwin and his Theory of Evolution, and a mural of Christ for a children's hospital. The polarizing projects propel Thomas Hall into a turbulent journey of self discovery. Merrill grew up in Utah and now lives in California.
• Wyoming author "Bill Housley" discusses and signs copies of his science fiction novel, "Into the Dark" (Cowboy Logic Press, $19.95), noon-6 p.m. Saturday at Hastings, 340 E. 525 North, Harrisville. This is a free event.
• Author events this week at The King's English Bookshop include:
* Washington author Clete Smith reads from and signs his debut middle reader novel, "Aliens on Vacation" (Hyperion Books, $16.99), at 7 p.m. Thursday.
* North Carolina author Sarah Dessen reads from and signs her new young adult novel, "What Happened to Goodbye" (Viking Juvenile, $19.99), at 7 p.m. Friday.
* New York author Gail Carson Levine reads from and signs her new book for middle readers, "A Tale of Two Castles" (Harper Collins, $16.99), at 2 p.m. Saturday. Levine is the author of the Newbery Honor book "Ella Enchanted", the New York Times bestsellers "Ever" and "Fairest" and the six Princess Tales books.
The author events are free at the bookshop, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City.