WASHINGTON - The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans has announced that seven Top of Utah students were among 26 in Utah to be awarded scholarships.
Each scholar will receive $5,000 toward their college education. The students were selected for the Horatio Alger Utah Scholarship because they persevered in overcoming adversity while succeeding academically, contributing to the community and exhibiting exemplary character.
"We are privileged to provide scholarships to the deserving students from Utah to attend college and achieve the American dream," said Tony Novelly, president and chief executive officer of the Horatio Alger Association. "These students have overcome significant challenges in their lives and have become stronger, more determined people because of it."
The Utah scholarships are made possible by the Rocky Mountain Power Foundation which has sponsored the Horatio Alger scholarships for five years.
The scholarships provided by the Horatio Alger State Scholarship Programs range from $2,500 to $20,000 and are sponsored by Horatio Alger members and friends. In 2011, the programs are awarding more than 850 state scholarships to students throughout the country. This marks the first year that the state scholarships are assisting students in all 50 states.
Horatio Alger scholars are provided with numerous resources to ensure a successful college career. Each student receives:
Ao Financial aid guidance to assist in the selection of, and preparation for, college.
Ao Access to the association's website, where students can create online profiles, search for fellow scholars, update their personal information, submit disbursement requests and direct questions to the association.
Ao Access to a toll-free information line, to speak to program coordinators for assistance with questions about their scholarships and other educational programs.
The 2011 Utah recipients are:
Brenda Alcantar, West Jordan High School, West Jordan
* Olivia Barclay, Wayne High School, Bicknell
* Laney Barker, Bonneville High School, Ogden
* Lacey Brinkerhoff, Carbon High School, Price
* Lindsey Childers, Riverton High School, Riverton
* Jessica Colwell, Murray High School, Murray
* Amileah DeMille, Davis High School, Kaysville
* Dylan Durrant, Intech Collegiate High School, North Logan
* Camila Fuenzalida, East High School, Salt Lake City
* Hannah Hirst, Cottonwood High School, Salt Lake City
* Brandy Holm, Cedar City High School, Cedar City
* Alexis Jessop, Weber Senior High School, Ogden
* Devron Johnson, Delta High School, Delta
* Yuliya Kalinovskaya, West Jordan High School, West Jordan
* Joshua Lake, Delta High School, Delta
* Kendra McGarrity, Brighton High School, Salt Lake City
* Rizwan Mohammed, Taylorsville High School, Salt Lake City
* Sariah Morey, Bingham High School, South Jordan
* Tiffni Moschetti, Clearfield High School, Clearfield
* Daniel PatiA+-o, Layton High School, Layton
* Skye Payne, Pine View High School, Saint George
* Brandy Petersen, Bingham High School, South Jordan
* Tyler Rothe, Maple Mountain High School, Spanish Fork
* Norma Ruiz, Ben Lomond High School, Ogden
* Claire Thomas, Skyline High School, Salt Lake City
* Chase Wilson, Wasatch High School, Heber City
To view the complete list of Horatio Alger scholars and members, visit www.horatioalger.org. The 2012 Horatio Alger Scholarship Application will be available beginning August 1 - October 30, 2011 at www.horatioalger.org/scholarships.
Founded in 1947, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans continues to fulfill its mission of honoring the achievements of outstanding individuals in our society who have succeeded in spite of adversity and of encouraging young people to pursue their dreams through higher education. The Horatio Alger Association offers three annual scholarship programs: the National Scholarship Program, state scholarship programs, and graduate grants. The association will have awarded more than $87 million in scholarships through 2012 to deserving young people determined to earn college degrees. The association is a Combined Federal Campaign participant; # 77062. For more information, please visit www.horatioalger.org
The Rocky Mountain Power Foundation is part of the PacifiCorp Foundation, one of the largest utility-endowed foundations in the United States. The foundation was created in 1988 by PacifiCorp, an electric utility serving 1.7 million customers in six Western states as Rocky Mountain Power (Utah, Wyoming and Idaho) and Pacific Power (Oregon, Washington and California). The foundation's mission, through charitable investments, is to support the growth and vitality of the communities served by Pacific Power and Rocky Mountain Power. For more information visit, www.rockymountainpower.net/rmpfoundation.