OGDEN -- Faulty electrical wiring in the basement of a vacant house at 2675 Jackson Ave. likely started a fire Sunday morning, said Ogden City Fire Department Battalion Chief Steve Splinter.
Crews responded to the fire at 11:35 a.m. and quickly got to work.
"It did fairly significant damage to the house," Splinter said. "When we got there, there was heavy smoke throughout the house and up in the attic."
Splinter said crews initially tried entering the house through the front door, but because of the heavy smoke, could not get back to where the fire was. So they went to the back of the house and sprayed the fire, as well as up into the attic.
With the fire extinguished, crews searched the structure but did not find anyone.
"The house was reported to be unoccupied," Splinter said.
He estimated that the fire did $50,000 worth of damage.
Splinter also said a neighbor had mentioned that a transient may have been spending time in the home, although that information has not been verified. Crews did find tools in the house, but those items may have been left there during some renovations.
Splinter said the fire marshal will be in contact with the owner to make sure the owner secures the house.