Watch interviews with the Roy fire chief and residents here.
ROY -- The smell of smoke hung heavy in the air as shell-shocked residents at Northpoint Condominiums returned home Tuesday to collect whatever they could salvage a day after a devastating fire.
The fire, reported Monday around 4:15 p.m., began in Unit No. 50 and spread to the 11 other units in the building at 4642 S. 1900 West, sending residents scurrying for safety. Thirty residents have been displaced, and most are staying with family and friends, authorities said.
Whitney Berchtold was asleep in Unit No. 44 in the Northpoint Condominiums building when she was awakened by the smell of smoke.