Propane tank leak causes temporary evacuation

Mar 1 2010 - 9:57pm

ROY -- A natural gas leak Monday at the WinCo Foods construction site at 6060 S. 3500 West caused the temporary evacuation of six homes nearby.

A 1,000-gallon propane tank that was filled Monday rolled onto its side, breaking a valve and causing the leak, Roy Fire Chief Jon Ritchie said.

The tank was used for heating inside the future grocery store building where concrete was being poured, Ritchie said.

Based on safety guidelines, the construction site and homes within 1,000 feet were evacuated, Ritchie said. Two Roy Fire engines responded; no highly flammable levels were detected at the scene.

Employees from Wasatch Propane in Salt Lake City were able to secure the tank without mechanical aid, reducing the risk of sparks or fire, Ritchie said.

From Around the Web

  +