OGDEN -- A Morgan family of six feels lucky to be alive after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home.
They told their story Thursday at Ogden Regional Medical Center's Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center to help bring awareness to the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.
Dave Streadbeck woke up at 3:37 a.m. Aug. 5 to a strange sound coming from his youngest son, James.
"I thought he was having a nightmare," Streadbeck said.
The four Streadbeck children were sleeping upstairs because a broken irrigation water line flooded the basement three days earlier.
Cleanup crews used fans to help dry out the basement, but the fans pushed toxic air from the hot-water system boiler into the rest of the home, causing carbon monoxide poisoning.
"When I went out to see what was wrong with James, he wasn't responding. He was making noises and had his arms bent inward," Streadbeck said.
"He was cold and clammy. Then I noticed my other son doing the same exact thing. They were both unresponsive."
Streadbeck's wife, Lisa, who had gone to bed with a headache, called 911. When the dispatcher told them to get out of the house, Streadbeck realized they could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
"I thought we were losing James for sure. He was not responding to us at all. The deputy got there and tried to revive him, but he didn't come to until he got in the ambulance."
The entire family -- Dave, Lisa, Jessica, 15, Riley, 12, Josh, 11, and James, 8 -- was suffering various effects of the poisoning, from headaches and dizziness to nausea and unconsciousness.
First responder Jerry Pierce called for three ambulances.
"The boys were incoherent. I grabbed the youngest in my arms and slapped some oxygen on him. It was obvious they had all been exposed," he said. "Dave was running on adrenaline and said he was OK, but I knew he wasn't OK."
Josh, James and Riley all said they don't remember anything until waking up in the ambulance. Jessica was sleeping in another room with the door closed and wasn't affected as much as her siblings.
Dr. Blake Yerman, Ogden Regional Medical Center emergency room physician, was the first to see the family at the hospital.
Yerman said carbon monoxide has a half life of three hours when it comes to sticking onto red blood cells. A half life is the period of time it takes for a substance to decrease by half.
When treated with oxygen, the half life moves down to one hour. In a hyperbaric chamber, that half life moves to 15 minutes.
Dr. Peter Clemens, director of Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine, started treating the family immediately in the hyperbaric chambers.
Clemens said hyperbaric oxygen helps to remove carbon monoxide from the blood and restores oxygen levels to normal. The high pressure inside the chamber delivers 100 percent oxygen.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause serious long-term effects in survivors, including decreased brain function and memory and behavior problems, but the family suffered none of those effects.
Streadbeck said the family had carbon monoxide detectors in the home, but they were tucked away in the closet. Now they have one on each level of the home.
"We are so lucky. It could have been so much worse," he said, choking up.
"You think you're safe inside your home, but we were right there inside with a killer and we didn't even know it. It will kill you without you even noticing."
The Streadbecks are asking everyone to get a carbon monoxide detector in their home.
"My mother watched two 17-year-olds die from carbon monoxide poisoning, so she went out and got all of her children some detectors," he said. "Everyone should have them in their homes. I know for a fact now that they will save your life."