SAO PAULO -- Chewing gum and playing soccer proved a dangerous mix for one Brazilian player.
Aloisio, a striker for Vasco da Gama, wound up in the hospital after colliding with an opponent and choking on his gum during a second-division game Tuesday. He was released from the hospital and avoided serious injury.
Doctors said he injured his head and stopped breathing momentarily, the gum obstructing his airway.
"It was a very serious situation," Vasco doctor Paulo Cesar Rocha said Wednesday. "Luckily, we identified the problem quickly and took the gum out to help him breathe again."
Aloisio, making his debut as a starter for Vasco, was struck hard in the head while challenging for a high ball near midfield during the second half. He collapsed and lost consciousness for a few moments.
Doctors rushed to him and an ambulance came on the field at Boca do Jacare Stadium in Brasilia.
"I don't remember a lot," Aloisio told local media Wednesday. "I only remember the doctor taking the gum out. I have never been scared like this -- no more chewing gum for me."
Aloisio was released from the hospital hours after he was admitted. He is barred from physical activity for at least a week as a precaution. More tests will be done next week to determine when he can play again.
Vasco, a four-time national champion, defeated Brasiliense 1-0. The club was relegated to the second division after last year's dismal season but now leads the 20-team standings. The top four teams will be promoted to the top tier next season.