A stock market correction is when the Dow Jones average drops 10% in a relatively short period of time.
A Rankman correction is when Oregon goes from preseason No. 6 into the laundry chute after an opening loss at Boise State in which the Ducks showed more punch after the game.
Deepest, sincerest apologies also for former No. 24 Nevada, but at least Rankman didn't purchase futures stock in Iowa.
Rankman was very impressed with Alabama and had no problem bumping the Crimson Tide up two spots ... to No. 12. Note to self: Stay out of Tuscaloosa until further notice.
Promoting Brigham Young at No. 11 after not having the Cougars ranked during the preseason is Rankman displaying Deion Sanders make-up speed at corner.
Lastly: Didn't have the guts to keep UCLA in the poll -- or the heart to drop Florida State out.
1. Texas 1-0; Longhorns and Gators locked in heated debate over which has easier schedule.
2. Florida 1-0; Team runs the spread but didn't cover it against Charleston Southern.
3. USC 1-0; Good news for Barkley: offensive line has a lot of "true" seniors.
4. Penn State 1-0; Akron, Syracuse, Temple is the "Petty Thief's Row" portion of schedule.
5. Oklahoma State 1-0; Put one check in your box in the battle of Big 12 vs. SEC.
6. Ohio State 1-0; Tressel spotted at Old Navy trying to get money back on sweater vest.
7. Mississippi 1-0; Chicken soup rationed as nine starters hit with flu bug this week.
8. LSU 1-0; Overlooked Washington so much they could almost see Sarah Palin.
9. California 1-0; Cranky and irritable in the morning but may be a pretty good swing-shift team.
10. Boise State 1-0; Hout ordered by coach to run extra laps in annual potato-sack race.
11; Brigham Young 1-0; Orrin Hatch plans to call another Senate hearing just to sing his alma mater. (NR)
12. Alabama 1-0; Rankman stocks up on canned goods then retreats to basement bunker.
13. Texas Christian 0-0; Penalized, frankly, for not starting season on time.
14. Oklahoma 0-1; All the AC joints in the world and this Grade 3 sprain walks into ours.
15. Georgia Tech 1-0; Not impressed with team's quintuple-fumble option offense vs. Jacksonville State.
16. Utah 1-0; Seeking to become second BCS bowl champion to beat San Jose State this year.
17. Notre Dame 1-0; Toughest part of first Saturday was prying helmet off Jimmy Clausen's head.
18. Miami 1-0; Offensive coordinator Mr. Whipple asks players not to squeeze his playbook.
19. North Carolina 1-0; Anyone in history ever played The Citadel and then at The Connecticut?
20. Nebraska 1-0; Tremendous and dominating victory against Florida ... what, it was Atlantic?
21. Oregon State 1-0; Dear Oregon: Hope you enjoyed Boise. We played Portland State.
22. Georgia 0-1; Uga dropped off at kennel while coach prepares poll deportation papers.
23. Virginia Tech 0-1; After bitter loss in Atlanta, Frank took his Beamer Ball and went home.
24. Cincinnati 1-0; Frankly, Scarlet (Knights), we just didn't give a damn.
25. Florida State 0-1; Wait, Bowden just thought of a goal line play he thinks might work.
Dropped out: Oregon (6), Nevada (24), UCLA (25).
Moved in: Cincinnati, BYU, Miami.