Warriors rally late to ice Lancers

Jan 9 2010 - 1:15am

PLEASANT VIEW -- Talking to Weber coach Chad Sims and some of his players, you would have thought that Friday night's nail-biting 49-47 victory over Layton was in the bag all the way. And maybe it was.

Despite shooting a frigid 14 percent from the field in the first half (4-of-27), the Warriors overcame two 10-point deficits en route to a thrilling victory over the Lancers.

"Our defense kept us in the game, which is something we can depend on," Sims said. "

While struggling to overcome its shooting woes, Weber's defense stepped up and kept Layton from pulling away. The Lancers enjoyed their biggest lead of the night at 16-6 two minutes into the second quarter, and again at 36-26 midway through the third period, but Weber battled back each time.

The Warriors finally tied the game 40-40 when Dallin Adams sank a pair of free throws at the 4:56 mark. Layton took a brief one-point lead before Weber ran off seven straight points over a three minute span, giving it a 47-41 cushion.

The Lancers stayed close, but clutch free throw shooting down the stretch preserved the win for the Warriors.

"We were able to hold them off because of our defense," said Weber forward Trevor Bingham, who tallied 10 points.

David Daines led Weber scorers with a game-high 14 points and Jake Oberg chipped in 10 points. Rees Checketts led the Lancers with 13 points.

* VIEWMONT 57, ROY 33: At Roy, the Royals extended their oh-fer streak to nine games with a lopsided loss to Viewmont.

The Vikings opened the third quarter on an 11-2 run and put the game out of reach early to continue their own streak of alternate win-loss-win so far this season.

"We talked about the need to be consistent at halftime," said Viewmont coach Jeff Emery.

Nine different players scored for the Vikings, led by Issac Teisina with 16 points. For Roy, Dallas Wilde led the way with 15 points, including 9-of-10 from the free throw line.

* NORTHRIDGE 47, CLEARFIELD 46 (OT): At Clearfield, with combined records of 2-16 coming in, both the Falcons and the Knights were on the brink of seeing their respective seasons slip away.

In a hard-fought game played with a palpable sense of urgency, Northridge overcame a 45-40 deficit in the final 1:46 of overtime to deal Clearfield a heartbreaking home court defeat.

The Falcons let the Knights hang around by connecting on only 2-of-6 free throw attempts in the extra session and finished 10-for-19 overall.

Trailing by five, Northridge sophomore Kade Petersen drained a clutch 3-pointer with 55 seconds left to cut the deficit to 55-53. After Clearfield's Daniel Johnson hit a charity toss, Jordan Galbraith made it 56-55 with a layin with 25 seconds left. Two more missed free throws by the Falcons opened the door for the Knights. With 11 seconds to play, Isaac Hernandez found Chad Colby cutting to the basket. Colby dropped it in to put the Knights ahead, while on the other end of the court Daniel Brandley's long 3-pointer rimmed out to end the game.

Clearfield's Kolton Young led all scorers with 18 points, while Chris Brower added 15.

The Knights were led by Hernandez's 12 points and Colby's 10.

Standard-Examiner correspondent Bob Judson and Chris Christensen contributed to this report.

From Around the Web