Not guilty plea in 'Works' bomb-making case

Jul 14 2011 - 11:03pm

FARMINGTON -- A 24-year-old man pleaded not guilty to charges of making "Works" bombs in Syracuse.

Justin Breg Goodrich appeared before Judge Michael G. Allphin on Monday in 2nd District Court. He is charged with six counts of possession of or reckless use of an incendiary device, all second-degree felonies. If convicted of any of the charges, Goodrich could face a sentence on each charge of one to 15 years in Utah State Prison.

Another hearing is set for Aug. 15.

Goodrich was arrested a year ago by Syracuse police, who said he was teaching teenagers how to make "Works" bombs. When officers arrived at the scene, they found what is commonly known as the "Works" bomb that had been detonated on the sidewalk, police said. The bombs are typically made by putting chemicals found in the home inside a 2-liter soda pop bottle.

Officers questioned two teenage boys, who told them more than one person was involved. Later, three teenage boys met with officers and told them an adult male who lived in the area taught them how to make the bombs.

From Around the Web

  +