OGDEN -- The summer free-lunch program for children up to age 18 begins Monday in most local school districts.
At schools where 50 percent or more students were eligible for free or reduced lunches during the school year, the meals continue through most of the summer. All local school districts except Morgan have schools that qualify.
"It's so students can have something to eat when school is out," said Charlene King, child nutrition coordinator for the Weber School District. "It's open to anyone 18 or younger, and it's because of the importance of good nutrition."
Nutrition services receive payments for the meals, served from the United States Department of Agriculture, through the Utah State Child Nutrition Program.
King said food is available to all children who show up, even if they attend a different school that does not offer free lunches. Preschoolers also are welcome as long as they can eat solid foods.
None of the participating school districts will offer meals July 4 or July 25, which are holidays.
Here's where children can go, and when:
Weber School District
Lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays at the following schools, starting Monday through July 28:
* Club Heights Elementary, 100 E. 4150 South, Ogden
* Lakeview Elementary, 2025 W. 5000 South, Roy
* North Park Elementary, 4230 S. 2175 West, Roy
* Roosevelt Elementary, 190 W. 5100 South, Ogden
* Washington Terrace Elementary, 20 E. 4600 South, Ogden
* Municipal Elementary, 5775 S. 2200 West, Roy
* Roy Elementary, 2888 W. 5600 South, Roy
* Valley View Elementary, 2465 W. 4500 South, Roy
* Mar-Lon Hills Elementary, 4400 Madison Ave., Ogden
* Riverdale Elementary, 1160 W. 4400 South, Riverdale
For more information, call the Weber School District Child Nutrition Department at 801-476-7838.
Ogden School District
Lunch for children will be served at the following Ogden schools and parks from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, starting Monday through July 29:
* Bonneville Elementary, 490 Gramercy Ave.
* Heritage Elementary, 373 S. 150 West
* Lincoln Elementary, 1235 N. Canfield Drive
* Odyssey Elementary, 375 Goddard St.
* Jaycee Park, 25th Street and Fillmore Avenue
* Liberty Park, 21st Street and Monroe Boulevard
* Lorin Farr Park, 17th Street and Gramercy Avenue
* Marshall White Center, 222 28th St.
* Monroe Park, 30th Street and Monroe Avenue
* Mount Ogden Park, 32nd and Taylor Avenue
* West Ogden Park, 24th Street and E Avenue
Lunch for children will be served at the following Ogden schools from 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, June 6 through July 21:
* Ben Lomond High, 1080 9th St.
* Dee Elementary, 550 22nd St.
* Madison Elementary, 2563 Monroe Blvd.
In addition, breakfast will be served from 7:45 a.m. to 8 a.m. during the regular schedule at the following locations:
Lincoln Elementary, Odyssey Elementary, Marshall White Center, Ben Lomond High, Dee Elementary and Madison Elementary.
For more information from the Ogden School District, call 801-737-7700.
Davis School District
Lunches will be served to children 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Mondays through Fridays, starting Monday through Aug. 5 at these schools:
* Doxey Elementary, 944 N. 250 West, Sunset
* Holt Elementary, 448 N. 1000 West, Clearfield
* Fremont Elementary, 2525 N. 160 West, Sunset
* Wasatch Elementary, 270 E Center St., Clearfield
* Washington Elementary, 340 W. 650 South, Bountiful
* Whitesides Elementary, 233 Colonial, Layton
* Crestview Elementary, 185 W. Golden, Layton
Lunch will be served from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at North Davis Junior High, 835 S. State St., Clearfield.
For children of migrant workers enrolled in the migrant program, breakfast will be served from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Mondays through Fridays, starting Monday through July 14, at Doxey Elementary.
For more information, call the district at 801-402-5261.
Box Elder School District
Lunch will be served 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, from June 13 through Aug. 5, at these locations:
* Lake View Elementary, 851 S. 200 West, Brigham City
* Foothill Elementary, 820 N. 100 East, Brigham City
* Garland Elementary, 250 N. Main, Garland
* McKinley Elementary, 120 W. 500 South, Tremonton
For more information, call Box Elder School District at 435-734-4800.