Gavel stock

SALT LAKE CITY — The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City released a list Monday of priests with credible sexual abuse allegations against them dating back to 1950.

Several of the priests listed have served in the Ogden area, according to the list published by the diocese. Others have served in nearby areas including Brigham City, Layton and Huntsville.

Some of the priests named in the report were serving in Ogden when the alleged abuse occurred.

The first priest mentioned on the list is Mario Arbelaez-Olarte, a priest who served in Brigham City from 2000-2001 and later in Ogden’s St. Joseph Parish from November 2001 until he was arrested on May 14, 2003.

Arbelaez-Olarte was arrested after an undercover officer with the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force accused him of downloading child pornography. He later pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charge of enticing a minor over the internet. He eventually left the United States and returned to his native Colombia, and was removed from the clergy in 2016.

Another priest named in the report was serving in Ogden when abuse allegations surfaced is George Davich, who served at Ogden’s Holy Family Parish from 1979 to 1982 and later served as vicar general from 1982 to 1986. The alleged incident, where Davich allegedly slept in bed with a minor, occurred sometime between 1979 and 1985, according to the documents published by the church.

Davich retired without faculties in 2002, meaning his “ecclesiastical authority” was revoked by the Catholic church.

A Jesuit priest, Raymond Delvin, was serving at St. Joseph’s High School in Ogden when allegations surfaced. Delvin allegedly molested a teenager in 1989 while he was serving at St. Joseph’s High School in Ogden. The list provided by the Catholic church did not elaborate on the allegations, and did not mention whether his position at the school played a factor in the alleged incident. Delvin was removed from his duties in 1990, and died in December 2011.

According to the list from the Diocese of Salt Lake City, it took over a decade for the Catholic church to report the allegations to law enforcement. The alleged abuse was reported to the diocese a year later in 1990, but was not reported to police until June 10, 2002.

For other cases, it took much longer for the alleged abuse to be reported to the diocese and law enforcement.

In the case of David Gaeta, who served at Ogden’s St. Joseph Parish from 1980 to 1982, it took until June 2018 for the abuse to reach the diocese. The information regarding the alleged abuse, where he was accused of lying in bed with a minor in 1982, was passed to police two months later.

Most recently, Gaeta also served at St. Florence in Huntsville from 2017 to 2018 then served in American Fork before his retirement without faculties this year.

Gaeta’s case isn’t the only one that took decades to report.

James Greenwell allegedly molested and took nude photos of a child in 1980, but the alleged incident wasn’t reported to the diocese and police until 2002. Greenwell served at Ogden’s St. Joseph Parish from 1979 to 1980 before moving to St. George and serving from 1980 to 1984. Greenwell later left the priesthood in 1986, according to the Catholic church documents.

It was not immediately clear whether Greenwell’s alleged abuse occurred in Ogden or St. George.

A visiting priest, Francisco Gomez, allegedly sexually abused a minor in 1994, yet the abuse allegations were not reported to the diocese until 2002. Gomez served at St. Rose of Lima in Layton from 1990 to 1994 before moving to St. Henry in Brigham City and serving until 1995. He later retired in 2002 without faculties.

It was not immediately clear whether the alleged abuse in 1994 occurred in Layton or Brigham City.

To view the full list of Utah priests accused of sexual abuse, click here.

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!