It’s time to talk turkey. Literally.
Now that it’s November, the traditional Thanksgiving Day turkey dinner is just around the corner. But if you just can’t wait — or maybe you simply can’t get enough of the flavorsome fowl this month — here are a dozen or so tasty turkey-based menu items available at local restaurants …
-- Mark Saal, GO! editor
CAJUN TURKEY SANDWICH
This spicy sammy features Cajun-grilled turkey, Pepper Jack cheese, grilled onions and tomatoes on a bun with a side of Louisiana hot sauce. It's served with a choice of soup, salad or fries. $9.99, at Roosters Brewing Co., 253 Historic 25th St., Ogden (and 748 Heritage Park Blvd., Layton).
SMOKED TURKEY PLATE
A barbecue-smoked turkey breast mopped with house sauce. It's served with a choice of two sides and a corn bread muffin. $13.99, at Smokey’s BBQ & Grill, 207 Historic 25th St., Ogden.
TURKEY BACON AVOCADO SALAD
If you're looking for something on the lighter side, this offers salad greens, slow-roasted and hand-pulled turkey, bacon, avocado, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers, salt/pepper, and creamy ranch dressing on the side. It's served with a slice of bread, croutons or a roll. $8.59, at Kneaders Bakery & Cafe, 1953 Washington Blvd., Ogden (and multiple locations in Utah).
OPEN FACE TURKEY
Out for something a bit more traditional? This is house-roasted turkey on grilled Texas toast, smothered with gravy and served with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. $10.99, at Jeremiah’s Restaurant, 1307 W. 1200 South, Ogden.
Here's a sandwich with a little twist. Turkey, havarti cheese, cran-peño jelly, slow-roasted tomato spread, cucumbers and greens on French bread. Served with chips. $8.95, at Even Stevens, 2214 Washington Blvd., Ogden.
OGDEN RIVER CLUB
Turkey and peppered bacon? Yes, please. This is house-spiced turkey, peppered bacon, and smoked provolone baked together, then topped with avocado spread and roasted red pepper aioli, served on a toasted ciabatta roll. $10.25, at Slackwater Pizzeria & Pub, 1895 Washington Blvd., Ogden.
TURKEY CRAN-BRIE SANDWICH
Turkey, Brie cheese, spinach and cranberry relish on grilled challah bread. Mostly, we included this one so we could say "grilled challa bread." $11.95, at Jessie Jean’s on 25th Street, 195 Historic 25th St., Ogden.
TURKEY, CHEDDAR & APPLE
Here's a tasty combination: Oven-roasted turkey, cheddar, Granny Smith apples and honey mustard served on grilled whole-grain bread. $10.50, at The Bickering Sisters, 2487 Grant Ave., Ogden.
Smoked turkey on cranberry bread, with cranberry sauce, mustard, lettuce, onion, tomato and cheddar cheese. But hurry, this one is for a limited time only, offered only around Thanksgiving time. It's the standard sandwich price ($3.99-$6.99), plus $1.50, Old Grist Mill Bread Company, 460 2nd St., Ogden (and other locations in Utah).
TURKEY LUNCH STACK
Perfect November diner food: Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, cheddar and turkey gravy stacked on Texas toast. $8.99, at No Frills Diner, 449 W. 12th St., Ogden.
PIONEER TURKEY STEAK
Fresh-ground, lightly breaded turkey steak, topped with country gravy and served with fresh-made cranberries. $9.99, at Prairie Schooner, 445 Park Blvd., Ogden.
Slices of turkey and broccoli baked in a light curry sauce and mild cheddar cheese, served with grilled French bread and fresh fruit. (If, like a certain former president, you don’t care for broccoli? Go with the Turkey Enchilada.) $10.29, at The Greenery at Rainbow Gardens, 1851 Valley Drive, Ogden.
CAJUN TURKEY LETTUCE WRAPS
Counting carbs? How about this one: Spicy turkey, grilled onions and Louisiana hot sauce in a lettuce wrap. $8.95, at Union Grill, 315 24th St., Ogden.
- Weber County man jailed after biting off woman's finger
- Weber, Davis counties — not just Utah County — seeing rise in COVID-19 cases
- Man charged with spending daughter's $61,000 personal injury trust fund
- West Ogden's Trackline Bike Park opening soon, latest in massive redevelopment initiative
- Prospect of BDO FrontRunner rail station gaining steam
- Two shot in Ogden, person of interest sought
- California pair arrested on I-15 in Farmington with 21 pounds of meth
- City wants stricter standards for apartments, despite affordability concerns
- William (Bill) Oliver
- Man arrested, suspected of attempted murder in Ogden double shooting
- Ryan Christner
Protestors gathered outside the Ogden Municipal Building during a rally supporting police reform on Saturday, June 27, 2020, in downtown Ogden. Speakers addressed recent police shootings and other incidents that resulted in the deaths of civilians and the need to change police practices to a…
- Utah State Prison inmate dies after altercation
- UPDATE: Police officer interrupts burglary, shoots suspect
- MotherCoders launches in Ogden to introduce area moms to career in tech
- Tech Matters: Cybersecurity tips for small businesses while Congress considers new bill
- Utah man who pointed bow, arrow at protesters pleads guilty
- Weber Center parking garage largely demolished, surface lot coming
- Freshman Avery Sanders boots golden goal for Syracuse girls soccer to beat Fremont
- Cox, Peterson tussle over education funding during Utah governor debate