For nearly twenty years after the first pioneers came to Utah, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was the only religious denomination in the area. That changed in Weber County with the introduction of Catholicism in 1866. By 1888, Ogden City had a thriving religious community with Saint Joseph’s Catholic Church, Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, the Methodists, Presbyterians, and Baptists. The Ogden Buddhist Temple was organized in 1913. With the railroad in the center of Ogden, it allowed for people from the East to come and settle the area and bring their religion into the once LDS dominated area. Ogden City has grown to accommodate the religious needs of its cosmopolitan population with eighteen active religious organizations in the area, some of which are still housed in their original building.