Police Shooting Wichita

FILE - In this May 22, 2018, file photo, Tyler Barriss, of California, appears for a preliminary hearing in Wichita, Kan. Barriss is accused of making a hoax phone call that led police to fatally shoot an unarmed man in Wichita, Kan., in December 2017. Barris is set to change his plea in federal court. (Bo Rader/The Wichita Eagle via AP, File)

WICHITA, Kan. — Tyler Barriss, a 26-year-old from Los Angeles, pleaded guilty Tuesday in a Kansas courtroom to charges connected to a fatal "swatting" incident in Wichita last year that left a man dead. 

Barriss was implicated in dozens of "swatting" incidents around the country — including one SWAT call in Layton just months before the fatal shooting in Kansas, according to federal court documents. 

An anonymous caller contacted Layton Police dispatch at 4:47 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017 saying they had placed several homemade explosive devices at the Super Walmart at 745 Hill Field Rd. in Layton, Layton Police Sgt. Juan Moreno said a day after the incident. 

A suspicious package was spotted outside the store, but the Davis County Bomb Squad investigated and found it to not be a threat. The package was not believed to be related to the bomb call, Moreno said.

The building was cleared by 7:50 p.m. and employees and shoppers were allowed back into the store.

RELATED: No explosives found after bomb threat closes Layton Walmart for 3 hours

During the threat in Layton, no one was injured.

Months later, on Dec. 28, 2017, a SWAT officer with the Wichita Police Department shot and killed Andrew Thomas Finch after police were told that a boy shot and killed his father, and was holding family members hostage, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Kansas. Police later said that Finch walked out of the home and put his hands up. When he began lowering his hands, he was shot and killed by police. 

With his pleas Tuesday, Barriss admits to making the call to police that effectively ended Finch's life. 

Barriss entered guilty pleas in Wichita to three charges stemming from the SWAT shooting. 

In California, Barriss pleaded guilty to 46 counts including making fake bomb threats to schools, shopping malls, TV stations and other areas across the country while he was in Los Angeles.

Of the 46 counts, a bomb threat made against the Layton Walmart is said to be the work of Barriss. 

His sentencing is set for Jan. 30 in Wichita. Barriss could be sentenced to spend the next two decades or more in a federal prison. 

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at jscholl@standard.net and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.