CLEARFIELD — A Grantsville man who stopped traffic on Interstate 15 Monday evening is said to be a parole fugitive out of Tooele County and interacted with police before walking onto the interstate with a gun, according to charging documents. 

Christopher Scott Lewis, 35, is being held without bail at the Davis County Jail as of Tuesday morning. 

Lewis was booked in jail around 10:30 p.m. Monday, and was placed on a hold order by Adult Probation and Parole, according to booking information. He's also being held on a second-degree felony charge of possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, along with misdemeanor drug charges. 

Charging documents filed early Tuesday morning reveal that Lewis was first approached by law enforcement when a concerned citizen notified a nearby officer of a man "slumped over and drooling on the ground" under the 650 North overpass near I-15, according to the affidavit. The officer was in the area investigating a car crash nearby. 

The man — whom police say is Lewis — was woken up by the officer and told the officer he was OK. The man later told police that he was a drug user, and the officer said he saw "fresh track marks up both arms," according to charging documents. 

The officer allegedly told Lewis that he was free to leave at any time, but wanted a medic to make sure he was OK. While being examined, Lewis allegedly emptied his backpack and a silver spoon with burn marks consistent with drug use fell out. The officer told Lewis he needed to see him after he was medically cleared, the affidavit says. 

After Lewis was cleared and the officer had finished investigating the car crash, the officer told Lewis to walk to the back of his patrol car. Lewis walked to the car and allegedly pulled out a gun, threatening to shoot himself, charging documents say. 

The officer allegedly told Lewis to drop the gun, but Lewis allegedly fled to I-15, causing the busy roadway to close. 

The closure snarled traffic around the interstate between 5600 South in Roy and 700 South in Clearfield. Some motorists were stranded on the interstate until the incident ended around 9 p.m. and the roadway reopened.

As negotiations stopped and started, the call was made to use "less lethal munitions" — pepper ball rounds — to detain the man, Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Nick Street said Monday evening. After firing the pepper ball rounds, a police dog kept the suspect from using his gun, allowing authorities to cuff and detain him.

After Lewis was taken into custody, police say they found a baggie on him with a crystal substance that they later found to be methamphetamine, charging documents say. 

The man suspected of closing the interstate is a parolee from the Utah Department of Corrections, Street said.

Charging documents show that Lewis was released on bail for a previous felony charge, and that Lewis allegedly cut off an ankle bracelet to flee from police. 

Lewis has an ongoing case in Tooele County, online court records show. Lewis was charged with aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, and making a threat of terrorism, a third-degree felony. Charges were filed against Lewis on Sept. 24, according to online records. 

Lewis was released from Tooele County Sheriff's custody on Oct. 1, according to online court documents. 

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.