OGDEN — An attack in an Ogden park bathroom nearly killed a man in 2017, and Wednesday the second of two alleged attackers in the case was sentenced to prison.

Bradley Austin Keyworth, 20, was given a prison sentence of zero to five years in a Utah state prison after pleading guilty in January to amended counts of aggravated assault and aggravated robbery, both third-degree felonies.

Shortly after the attack, Keyworth was charged with first-degree felony attempted murder and aggravated robbery, but the charges were reduced as part of his plea agreement.

Keyworth was issued a summons while the other man charged in the attack, Bradley Andrew Eppley, 22, was arrested.

Eppley and Keyworth lured an 18-year-old into a bathroom on Ogden’s 9th Street and attacked him on July 29, 2017, according to charging documents. Eppley stabbed the man 11 times and Keyworth allegedly kicked and punched the man repeatedly. Charging documents say that Eppley tried to slit the man’s throat before taking the victim’s phone and leaving. The incident reportedly began due to an argument between Keyworth and the victim about Keyworth’s girlfriend.

The victim was able to recover from his injuries, and later told police that Eppley was responsible for the stab wounds. The victim was not present in court during Wednesday’s sentencing hearing in Ogden.

Keyworth was shackled as he walked into the courtroom Wednesday, as he was arrested in February on felony and misdemeanor drug charges. He has been held at the Weber County Jail without bail since.

Reading from a note, Keyworth apologized for his actions and said he deeply regrets the actions he took that day.

“On July 29, 2017, I made the biggest mistake of my life,” Keyworth said. “I’m more than sorry for what happened, I wish I could take it all back.”

He told the court he has since been taking anger management and substance abuse classes, saying that if he wasn’t intoxicated that day, he likely wouldn’t have participated in the attack.

Keyworth’s attorney, Randall Marshall, told the court that the assault charges were the first brush Keyworth has had with the adult legal system, and asked for a probation term. Marshall said that his client did not know Eppley had a knife before the attack, and Keyworth only wanted to “jump” the victim, not cause serious injury.

Marshall added that Keyworth was willing to cooperate with prosecutors against Eppley if the case went to a trial, and his willingness to testify should be considered by the court.

The state rebuffed Marshall’s request for probation, and Deputy Weber County Attorney Thomas Pedersen reminded the court that the attack was premeditated and Keyworth continued to punch and kick the victim while Eppley stabbed him.

Judge Ernie Jones sided with prosecutors, and said he “can’t get over the fact this was a premeditated attack.”

“This is a cruel and violent offense,” Jones said. “I can’t overlook how serious this is.”

Jones went on to say that the victim and both defendants are lucky the man survived, despite the numerous stab wounds and cut to the victim’s throat.

Keyworth was given credit for time served to contribute to his prison sentence. He will be transferred to the Utah Department of Corrections to serve his prison term.

The other defendant, Eppley, was sentenced in January to serve an indeterminate term of one to 15 years in a state prison after he pleaded guilty a month prior to reduced charges. He is in the custody of the Central Utah Correctional Facility to serve his sentence.

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at jscholl@standard.net and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!