Homeless Count 01

Mario Lucio, left, talks with Courtney Slater, a homeless outreach worker with Weber County, during the Point-in-Time Count outside of the Salvation Army in Ogden on Friday morning, Jan 26, 2018. During the annual count, employees and volunteers in Ogden spend three days trying to meet and interview every homeless person in the area. Lucio, who says he has been homeless for three years, ran into volunteers on the second morning of the survey when he came to the Salvation Army for a free breakfast.

SALT LAKE CITY — The number of homeless people living in Utah on a single night in January remained relatively steady from 2017 to 2018, according to data from the state’s annual Point-in-Time Count.

The data was released Wednesday as a part of Utah’s 2018 Annual Report on Homelessness, published by the Housing and Community Development Division of the Utah Department of Workforce Services.

Statewide, 2,876 people were counted as experiencing homelessness, according to UDWS, an increase of less than a half of a percent from 2017.

About 85 percent of the people counted were in an emergency shelter or transitional housing facility, according to a UDWS press release. The other 15 percent were sleeping on the street, in a car or some other place not meant for human habitation.

In Weber and Morgan counties, 376 people were counted, with 338 sheltered. In Davis County, 63 were counted with 54 living in some kind of shelter.

The full report is available at housing.utah.gov/reports and includes data broken down by county, in addition to statewide data.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.