OGDEN — A West Valley City man was sent to prison Thursday after he pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a 4-year-old in South Ogden.

Jayden Becker Nelson, 21, was given a state prison term of one to 15 years after he pleaded guilty in November to two charges: one count of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, a first-degree felony, and one count of sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony.

In return for his plea, prosecutors dropped four felony sex abuse charges.

Nelson was first arrested on Oct. 29 after a 4-year-old told her parents that Nelson had sexually abused her while in the basement of their home. The child detailed the two instances of abuse to her parents and police, prompting Nelson’s arrest. Nelson allegedly admitted the abuse to police and said that he was “sexually aroused” on both occasions.

Nelson was charged with three first-degree felonies on Oct. 30 in connection with the girl’s testimony.

On the same day as Nelson’s arrest and indictment, a 17-year-old told her mother and later police that Nelson had molested her several years prior and said the sexual abuse happened on “several different occasions,” according to charging documents.

During an interview at the Children’s Justice Center, the 17-year-old told police that the abuse occurred sometime in 2013 or 2014, when she was 12 years old and Nelson was 16. Police said in a probable cause statement that it was unknown just how many times Nelson abused the girl, but noted it happened at several places in the girl’s home.

Nelson was interviewed the next day at the Weber County Jail regarding the new allegations from the 17-year-old girl. Police allege that Nelson didn’t say anything about sexually abusing the 17-year-old because “he didn’t think it was relevant because it happened so long ago,” according to charging documents. After he was advised of his Miranda rights, he declined to answer questions from police.

He was indicted a second time on Nov. 6, and was charged with three counts of sexual abuse of a child, a second-degree felony.

The plea agreement signed Nov. 30 resolved both cases, and Thursday’s sentencing marks the beginning of Nelson’s prison time. He was given credit for time served at the Weber County Jail, totaling 60 days.

As of Friday, he was still in the custody of the jail, but will be transferred to the Utah Department of Corrections to serve his prison term.

Jacob Scholl is the Cops and Courts Reporter for the Standard-Examiner. Email him at jscholl@standard.net and follow him on Twitter at @Jacob_Scholl.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!