MURRAY — A former Kaysville man convicted of trying to kill his wife in 2013 will remain behind bars after he was denied parole last week. 

Kristopher Lee Ertmann, 30, had a hearing with the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole on May 24 to determine whether or not he should be released. The board released their decision on July 5, according to spokesperson Jim Hatch. 

The board found Ertmann “hasn’t demonstrated adequate reduction in risk to re-offend,” Hatch said. The next parole hearing for Ertmann is scheduled for June 2029.

Hatch added that Ertmann had two aggravating factors for his denial of parole — risk to public safety and impact on the victim.

RELATED: Police say Kristopher Ertmann told 'hitman' to have fun killing his ex-wife

Ertmann was convicted in 2014 of slashing his wife’s throat the prior year. 

Ertmann and his now ex-wife, Tiffany Mead, met at a park in Fruit Heights shortly before midnight on July 23, 2013, to discuss the terms of their divorce. The two got into an argument that turned violent, and Ertmann cut Mead’s throat.

Despite the large gash across her neck and heavy blood loss, Mead survived the attack and attended all of Ertmann’s court hearings.

Later, Ertmann tried to solicit a hit man to kill Mead. 

RELATED: Ertmann pleads guilty to slashing ex-wife's throat, gets prison time

“Yup, have fun,” Ertmann said, not once, but twice to a police officer posing as a hit man.

The officer visited Ertmann at the Davis County Jail and showed a photo of Mead on his cell phone. Mead knew about the sting and agreed to have the officer take her photo, prosecutors told the Standard-Examiner in 2014.

Ertmann pleaded no contest to charges stemming from the attack on Mead and trying to solicit the hit man. He was given a one- to 15-year sentence for cutting Mead, and was given five years to life for criminal solicitation. 

RELATED: CBS's 48 Hours to air profile of 2013 attempted murder case in Davis County

The case was recently profiled on CBS’s 48 Hours earlier this year. The episode included the video from the Davis County Jail of Ertmann talking to a man he believes is a hit man, but turned out to be an undercover police officer. 

Mead shared her story with the Standard-Examiner in 2014, nearly a year after the attack.

Story continues below the video.

Ertmann is in the custody of the Central Utah Correctional Facility in Gunnison, according to online records. 

Contact reporter Jacob Scholl at or follow him on Twitter @Jacob_Scholl.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.